Buying a used Neon? What to look for...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:11 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo talon dl 94
Save yourself the trouble and dont buy a Neon. All of the things that Darth Roush listed are very good items to be aware of but if (especially IF) you're buying from a dealer they have ways of "masking" certain problems like emissions control and some of the engine noises. They can disconnect the battery and clear the codes and they may not return for several weeks which by then the warranty period will be up and use heavier than recommended oil for quieting lifter tick and other nosies which would discourage purchases. Check the brakes and pay special attention to the rear drums if you have them. Ask when the battery and alternator were last changed as well. The alternator is NOT fun to work on.
Dont' buy any car without a warranty then? Every car has problems. Some just run better/longer with certain problems. The alternator isn't a maintenance item though. Irrelevant IMO if it has ever been changed or not. You change it if it's bad. If not, you leave it alone. One of the golden rules: if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Battery, meh. It's going to depend on the environment and how the previous owner treated it (did they always leave the interior lights on all night or not, etc). Load test it when you look at the car if you are worried.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
dynasty_romero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn i wish i seen this before i got my neon ;(

Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM
joester
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One slight edit in the main post...
"The oil should not look like a milkshake though; this is a sign of water contamination. This could be from a loose oil cap, or antifreeze leaking into the oil through a cracked passage in the block."

Add ....or a failed head gasket.

Also, inspect the radiator filler cap for signs of chocolate mousse, another indicator of oil seepage. Chocolate mousse with a reddish tinge is a sign of a failed transmission cooling coil in the radiator.

Joe

Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Both good points. The transmission one is a major PITA. Hopefully it gets caught before it destroys the transmission. I make a mention of it in the second bullet.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 PM
joester
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And evidence of water leaking around the tail lights.

I RTV'd mine today now that I know where the darn water was coming in. Both sides showed evidence of leaking too.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 PM
SubrinaIsMyCar

I'd just drive it and if your gut tells you something is wrong, i'd go with it.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by joester
And evidence of water leaking around the tail lights.

I RTV'd mine today now that I know where the darn water was coming in. Both sides showed evidence of leaking too.
5th bullet

Originally Posted by SubrinaIsMyCar
I'd just drive it and if your gut tells you something is wrong, i'd go with it.
...and if someone doesn't know a lot about cars? Stay uneducated? Simply driving a car won't necessarily tell you if the fluids have been changed, tires rotated/cared for, worn suspension components and so on.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM
arnonefrank13
Professional

nice dude! Thats exacally what I checked for when I traded my 150cc scooter for a 2002se neon. I had to put $500 in it tho..( serpentine belts, oil and coolant, the engine strut mounts, a rear strut assembly, I had tires and rims, rear brake hardware and wheel cylinder, tail light, trunk work/bondo and paint, plugs and wires, air cleaner, pcv valve, radiator cap, new valve cover bolts/ junk yard find, injectors, junk yard find, some hose clamps and electrical tape, some extra tranny fluid, brake fluid, high temp gasket sealant, and then some...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
willweber23

"Broken torque strut mounts. They keep the engine from torquing under load. Broken torque strut mounts, also referred to as upper and lower motor mounts, will cause shifts to be harder, vibration in the inside and will lead to premature failure of both the [center] motor mount and transmission mount."

Could this be why my car seems to shake more? i pop the hood and it seems like the engine bounces around more than it should be... friday ill have to take it to the shop and have them check it out for me lol :P

But very nice post! very helpful

Quick Reply: Buying a used Neon? What to look for...