2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rough Idle and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM
skateit999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle and other problems

I have a 2001 Dodge Neon ES that i just bought used. Its on its second engine and currently I have been having a lot of rough idling and slight piston slap before it warms up. Also when i rev to about 4,000 and above i get a really bad whine coming from the engine (possibly power steering pump sound?). I do notice that what I believe to be the power steering pump tends to whine a bit even with normal idle. Is this just a common thing or am i doomed for failure? Also because of this rough idle i changed the oil, spark plugs, and tore apart the intake to clean the idle air control valve carbon off but this did nothing. I also changed both motor mounts and yet the engine still feels rough when idling. If anyone has any tips or ideas of things i could fix let me know.

I am also curious about how to replace my timing belts if anyone has any instructions on particular neon belts.

Thanks,
-Tim

and finally my clutch distance is really short (I cannot figure out how to adjust it properly at the pedal linkage)(should i try rebleeding the clutch) and also my gas pedal is super stiff and hard to use with the short clutch.

Last edited by skateit999; 03-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually P/S pumps whine when the fluid is low. Is the fluid topped up?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
skateit999

Yea i topped it off about a month or so ago. My power steering hose also has a slight leak around the fittings. Actually its not really a leak, its more of just the hoses being wet on the outisde and around the metal couplings.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Re-reading your first post makes me think the P/S pump isn't the culprit anyways. You say it's only when the engine revs above 4,000RPM. The P/S will whine whenever you turn the car; it's got nothing to do with engine speed. How many miles do you have? Timing belt been changed?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

Usually the timing belts make that kind of noise in Chryslers not a big deal. Piston slap is normal. And hydraulic clutches are supposed to have no freeplay and there is no linkage with hydraulics, you may be used to feeling a cable clutch.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and other problems