2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

i know its common but plz help i went thur three pages if post

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 PM
joesbubblebee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i know its common but plz help i went thur three pages if post

so my prob is i'm stuck in limp mode. i try to turn the car off and start it again doesn't help. now i had a raditor prob where i was over heating my trans fuild was leaking into my coolant. at that point i change the raditor. two day later my trann decided to go into limp mode and i havn't been able to get it out since. i havn't tryed anything yet. but i was pointing around today and found i have coolant in my trans. i know not good. i'm wondering if that could be why i'm not shifting. should i drain the trans and replace the filter. or should i do that anyways and change my input and output seloinds?
my check engine light is on and as been on since i went into limp mode. plz any help is great. ask any question you need to. i wen to a trans shop and the guy tryed to erase the code and it didn't work he couldn't do it. and his obd II reader couldn't get it out of limp mode. he didnt' 'tell me the codes. i may go see him tomorrow and see if he can read them and let me know what they say. he doesn't think my trans is shot and either do i.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can try flushing the transmission and replacing the filter. The coolant/ATF mixture will, to keep it simple, destroy the clutches if the car is driven long enough with that mixture in there. Not an uncommon Neon problem either, unfortunately.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
joesbubblebee

so i had it check and the code that there is 0755 idk what what it is but i. going to drain the pan and install a new filter do you think the coolant in the trans in the reason why it's not shifting

Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by joesbubblebee
so i had it check and the code that there is 0755 idk what what it is
Link is in my signature.
P0755 is "shift solenoid B malfunction."

Originally Posted by joesbubblebee
i. going to drain the pan and install a new filter do you think the coolant in the trans in the reason why it's not shifting
Very much so at this point, if it hasn't destroyed it already.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Yup and transmission fluid in coolant passages is no good either.

If you have driven it long enough at this point it's almost worth buying a new car.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

Just a thought, but where can you find a replacment Neon for the cost of a $2,000.00 trans rebuild? I'd like to know, so I can go get one. I priced a good used auto neon down the street from me, and they want almost $4,000 for it with the cost of gas now,Yellow Sxt 2.0 78,000 miles, fairly clean with rust under the hood already and by the rear wheel wells. This happened to mine at about 90,000 miles, rebuilt the trans, flushed the coolant, replaced the radiator, and did a timing belt, waterpump, and tensioner right away. $2,900 at the dealer, and it now has 237,000 miles on it. Replace is not always the solution, sometimes it still pays to fix things. I just went used car shopping, and with the cost of gas, it seems that all that is out there in used cars with good gas mileage are overpriced, or junk that someone else has traded in. I found 2 caravans that had major evidence of bad accident damage that was not disclosed. Look REALLY close at anything you buy. Finally bought a 2000 G/V with the easy fix strut tower rot for $2,600- perfect in every other way. much better mileage (19-23) than my Ram for small jobs that only need a few tools and 1 ladder or so.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

...or you could just spend a couple hundred at a junkyard for a transmission.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 AM
bmc2004

Same exact thing happened to my old neon. Coolant leaked into my transmission. My shift solenoids went and then it drove fine for a while then before i knew it the clutch was toasted. I would do exactly what darth said though. Go to a junkyard and find a transmission. Chances are its not in the best shape but anything is better than a tranny filled with coolant.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The thing of it is that the transmission in the junkyard has a chance as being just as good or bad as one that you'd get buying another used car for much more. Most junkyards AFAIK offer a 30 day warranty too. Wouldn't hurt to buy it on something like this just in case if you are worried about it, but you'll need to change it out ASAP so you can tell if you need to use the warranty or not. Do a proper flush once it is installed, install a new filter and drive.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM
joesbubblebee

i just bought new sensors and i'm going to install them today hopefully. the car is really turning into a $250 pos lol. that's what i paid for it. so i'm not getting angry with it i'm just wishing it wasn't one thing after another and ore before i can fix one. i will prob get a used tranny when i can and have it installed just so it will last longer. i have a freeze plug leaking i want to do a whole head gasket at the same time because it be easier to to do jsut the freeze plug with the intake off. at that point might as well go deeper right lol. i had a head gasket prob when i bought it but fixed it

Quick Reply: i know its common but plz help i went thur three pages if post