2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

simple question about a 01 neon. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 PM
psycho_mike18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple question about a 01 neon. please help.

my 01 neon was always locking up into overdrive, it would shift into 3rd, then overdrive. no matter what. when you stop, it will die unless you put it in N or 2. as well, i replaced the TCC seloniod, didnt fix the problem, the TC started making noises, probably due to it locking up at 27MPH all the time, and straining as it stops, it put out a bunch of shavings, i replaced the TC, and had the transmission rebuilt, and the valve body cleaned, as well it has a new TCC seloniod, had the rad flushed, and even yet, this car still locks up into overdrive, i changed the computer, i unplug the TC selenoid, and i unplug the speed sensor. it still does the same thing.

the only thing i can come up with, is that there is something wrong with the valve body. but what?

please help with this, i need to fix this car, i cant continue to drive it like this or it will do the same thing again. is there something you can adjust?
s

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Whoever rebuilt your transmission should have tried to fix the problem it came in for.

It could be a defect in the valve body or a restriction or blockage in a passage leading up to the TCC.

There are 3 things a TCC needs to operate. Hydraulic Fluid, Electronic activation, and Mechanical force.

So if you replaced the converter and everything electrical up to it then the only thing left is hydraulic.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:41 PM
psycho_mike18

okay, ive been thinking valve body, im not sure why, but as soon as it shifts into 3rd gear, literally as it goes into third, it locks up. and it wont go out of lock up if its in 3rd, and it wont downshift while its locked up, if you kick it, it will lock out as it goes in 2nd, but locks right back up in third.

do you think it could be something in the valve body? if it was a blockage or something wouldnt it do it all the time? i really appreciate your help!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
psycho_mike18

Originally Posted by Moparkyle
Whoever rebuilt your transmission should have tried to fix the problem it came in for.

It could be a defect in the valve body or a restriction or blockage in a passage leading up to the TCC.

There are 3 things a TCC needs to operate. Hydraulic Fluid, Electronic activation, and Mechanical force.

So if you replaced the converter and everything electrical up to it then the only thing left is hydraulic.

could it be the valve body? it shifts into 3rd gear, then locks up, everytime. at the same time, almost like fluid enters the TC when it goes into 3rd. and it doesnt unlock in 3rd unless you downshift manually into 2nd.

would rebuilding/cleaning the valve body be a good idea to try? could that be the issue?

i just feel it could be in the valve body because it only locks up in 3rd, as it goes into 3rd, it locks up. almost like the fluid is going through third, then going in the TC.

thanks again!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are the HYD diagrams for 3rd gear with lock up on and off.
perhaps they will help you narrow down whats causing this issue

http://i51.tinypic.com/29apohi.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/5c0mmf.jpg

Also verify the lock up solenoid, relay or no other wires are shorted/open

Quick Reply: simple question about a 01 neon. please help.