2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Looking for help electrically, 2000 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
dadibones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help electrically, 2000 Neon

While traveling to work the other day my Neon died...electrically still active, the engine just died. Had car towed home, when unloaded it started right up. Drove again on a "practice" run and it ran fine for about a 15 minute drive. Parked car for shopping, went to start it up, starter cranks just great but no start. Sat in car for about 15 minutes (cussing I might add) and try to start again. Fired right up, halfway home it died again, started up after about a 10 minute cussing bout. cruised right on home without trouble. You know my question..."What would cause this?" I've read many of the forums here and I bet you'll suggest many sensors, electrical grounds, etc....Instead of just throwing parts at the car can the ckp, cmp, ignition module, wiring harnesses, etc. be tested before I just buy the part hoping it fixes the problem? Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, most every electrical thing can be tested with a DMM. FSM link is in my signature and the procedures are in there.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 AM
dadibones

I forgot to mention...no obd codes were locked in which gives me a needle in a haystack feeling here. Dart, could you be more specific... 'DMM'...????...'FSM'...??? (I'm new here so give me a break).

Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

DMM= Digital Multi Meter FSM= Factory Service Manual.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Matix151
Rookie

you may want to still have the car scanned for trouble codes as there could be pending codes. a great way to diagnose this car is have handy a spark tester and or fuel pressure tester when the car wont start so when it fails you can check for spark and fuel and really narrow your diagnosis down. spark testers can be had at any auto parts store and easily hook right in to a spark plug wire and clip to ground nad crank engine and observe. also hooking up and taping to your winshield a fuel pressure tester can yield alot of info especially while your driving and the car fails. this is a very basic starting point and allows you to follow a further diagnostic preocedure. if you have questions let me know , im a ASE certified tech by the way.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Purple Neon Guy
Amateur

I to am having the same problem, however I am getting P1388 and P1389 and nothing else, I can drive for a long time with no problems than boom, I am dead on the highway. Looking for help big time.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Purple Neon Guy
Amateur

I had the ASD code coming up, so I took a gamble besides the research I did in my neon manuals and tried the camshaft sensor and it cleared my problem up which sounds very similar to yours. I figured 25 bucks was a safe gamble.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Purple Neon Guy
Amateur

I take back my comment, I still have a gremlin.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
redsl
Rookie

Make sure your fans are working. Also if the engine gets too hot there is a safety switch that cuts it off. Maybe it could be one of those items

Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 PM
dadibones

Can the ASD relay intermittently go bad (possibly in an overheated environment) and then go to working again or are they designed for when they go bad they are done for and replacement is required? I've checked every wire I can get to in this thing and am still searching for that needle.

Quick Reply: Looking for help electrically, 2000 Neon