2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Unusual set of problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Matix151
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to keep in mind that the computer has a little lag when stepping on the accelerator hard , also the trans has some lag when downshifting to a higher gear when you accelerate hard. i do believe there are tsb's for reflashing the pcm to rid the car of some pesky idle issues and hard starting issues. Also getting an alignment most certainly will not cure your ill mpg , ive said it before in another post that these cars do not have readily serviceable fuel systems and without propper service you have to expect poor mpg , the filter is the fuel pump sock / screen and using a good fuel additive every 3k will do wonders as well as using fuel like chevron with techron , also your fuel trims are the key to determining engine performance , your mechanic should be able to check them with a propper scanner , the dealer really is not a good choice , many times their techs no less than an independent shops techs.

Last edited by Matix151; 06-02-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
bdveteran18

Hmmm so maybe i'll take it to the local shop right next to my work and have them hook up the DRBIII and see if there are any updates for my computer while i'm there have them do a tune up on the vehicle. It has over 74k and i'm not sure what the dealership or the previous owner did or didn't do. Starting from there is probably the best point

Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
bdveteran18

Originally Posted by Matix151
you have to keep in mind that the computer has a little lag when stepping on the accelerator hard , also the trans has some lag when downshifting to a higher gear when you accelerate hard. i do believe there are tsb's for reflashing the pcm to rid the car of some pesky idle issues and hard starting issues. Also getting an alignment most certainly will not cure your ill mpg , ive said it before in another post that these cars do not have readily serviceable fuel systems and without propper service you have to expect poor mpg , the filter is the fuel pump sock / screen and using a good fuel additive every 3k will do wonders as well as using fuel like chevron with techron , also your fuel trims are the key to determining engine performance , your mechanic should be able to check them with a propper scanner , the dealer really is not a good choice , many times their techs no less than an independent shops techs.
Alright thank you for all of the information. Im definitely taking it in now and as a former chrysler technician I can vouche for them not being the wealth of knowledge they all claim to be. The shop im taking it to is an independent shop that everyone at my work takes their vehicles to.

So on my drive out to Vegas I discovered that it wasn't the air conditioning that was causing it to idle high for a few seconds then drop down to normal. It was doing it on its own. So now im thinking after a certain amount of time with the car on and running something is being triggered.

As far as the A/C halfway through the trip it stops blowing. I can feel that its on and cold air is coming out but on full blast nothing is really coming out of the vents. I stop to eat, turn the car back on and it works for a little while then does it again. Its working again now but I have no clue what that could be

Quick Reply: Unusual set of problems