2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Unusual set of problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
bdveteran18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual set of problems

I have had this car for a couple months now and have been starring to notice a few problems with it that im not sire should be addressed at the dealership or if there is things I can do to fix them myself.

First is my gas mileage. Im going to assume it's the sender unit because I've had a similar problem with another car. I only get about 230 miles to a completely full tank but the computer (OBDII adapter that reads out to my cell phone) reads me at an average of 32mpg. I only really drive to and from work and each way is 20 miles. im not a math major but that doesn't seem to add up.

Next is when I full throttle the car it bogs down or and seems sluggish till for a couple seconds then it responds like normal. Same problem occurs when say in first gear going over a dip, I go over the dip then give it some throttle and it revs up but im not really going anywhere. It seems like the computer is taking to much time to think about what's going on. (Side note with the same scan tool adapter I only get a peak of 89hp. I hit 100 once before but that's all I've gotten. Im not trusting the tool on that but just giving more info).

Lastly when I've been driving the car for let's say more than 70 miles straight and the ac is on when I come to a stop it stays revved at around 2k RPMs. That's only if the air conditioning is on though.

Any one have similar problems or maybe a little insight for me? The car has 73k miles. I've recently change plugs and wires with replacements similar to stock. Also changed the oil recently as well. Thanks for your time in advance

Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My GPS says I get 30-32MPG, but I only get about 250-260 miles per tank or so when I'm just driving where I live. I can get 300 when I get some highway driving in there too, but where I live, the highways aren't all flat either. It's all dependent on terrain, acceleration, deceleration, speed, tire pressure, tire alignment and so on. Unless you are driving on the highway for a long distance at a steady and constant speed, you aren't going to get up into the mid-higher 30's. You'd be getting around 23MPG which isn't too far off from my "around town" average of about 25-26MPG. Perhaps it's tune-up time; get everything checked out (besides just the plugs and wires)? Which plugs did you get and what did you gap them to?

Second problem sounds like a possible IAC problem or vacuum leak? Any codes?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a hesitation or "Bog" when you peg it in neutral? or only in drive?
also im with darth on what kind of plugs did u get??

Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
bdveteran18

Im driving to Las Vegas from So Cal on Friday so I will see how my gas mileage does on that trip. Im also going to get an alignment soon as well and see if that helps.

The plugs I got I believe were the Duralast ones from AutoZone. I honestly don't remember what they were gapped to now since its been over a month since I did it. How would I be able to recheck that?

In neutral it revs up fine and has no hesitation from what I can tell. Its only when the car is in motion.

No codes are listed for anything that's why I found all of this to be odd. I think next week im going to take it in for a full tune up and see where that puts me and go from there

Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
bdveteran18

Im driving to Las Vegas from So Cal on Friday so I will see how my gas mileage does on that trip. Im also going to get an alignment soon as well and see if that helps.

The plugs I got I believe were the Duralast ones from AutoZone. I honestly don't remember what they were gapped to now since its been over a month since I did it. How would I be able to recheck that?

In neutral it revs up fine and has no hesitation from what I can tell. Its only when the car is in motion.

No codes are listed for anything that's why I found all of this to be odd. I think next week im going to take it in for a full tune up and see where that puts me and go from there

Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The same way you checked the plugs before you put them in? With a gapper. As for what type of plug, we don't mean brand. Copper? Platinum? Double Platinum? Iridium?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
bdveteran18

Haha sorry I was completely spacing when I wrote that yesterday. As for the plugs they're the Champion copper ones. I still don't remember what they're gapped to so I will have to take them out and look. What's recommended?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

Your revving problem sounds like it could be your torque converter. Also it will depend on where you fill up your gas tank, I usually only get around 230 ish miles but I fill up on a quarter tank at the lowest.

Also there was a TSB on the AC and RPM it has to be reflashed by a dealership if that hasn't been done all ready I believe, or you could have an air control problem like previously said.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
bdveteran18

When I take it in I'll inquire about the service bulletin and see what's going on

Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bdveteran18
Haha sorry I was completely spacing when I wrote that yesterday. As for the plugs they're the Champion copper ones. I still don't remember what they're gapped to so I will have to take them out and look. What's recommended?
0.035"
Originally Posted by Moparkyle
Also there was a TSB on the AC and RPM it has to be reflashed by a dealership if that hasn't been done all ready I believe, or you could have an air control problem like previously said.
I don't think that's going to apply here. I've had it done to my car when I had another key being made, but the thing of it is, unless you are the original owner or know what dealership serviced the car before you bought it, the dealership "cannot find out" if it's had any computer upgrades done without hooking the scan tool up and subsequently charging you for it. At that point, you may as well have them just update everything.

I had mine done at a local shop. Dealers aren't the only ones with the DRBIII anymore. My shop checked if there were updates for my computer first.

Quick Reply: Unusual set of problems