2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Needing assistance with backup light switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
neon_2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing assistance with backup light switch

2000 neon automatic 2.0....

So I just picked up a neon to use mostly as a work vehicle and It has a few minor issuse. I fixed three of those today simply by replacing fuses that were blown as well as replacing fuses that were higher than the specified amperage for the circuits.

My last problem for the moment is the reverse lights, they dont work. There is power at the fuse, the sockets are grounded, the bulbs are perfect so that left me to the switch on the transmission.

When I removed the airbox to have a look I was surprised to find the switch easy to get to. I was also found two wires coming from the switch to an electrical connector. There are also another wire or two (cant remember atm) coming from what I took to be a sensor of some sort to that same connector (not important to this I dont think) and then there is a white wire

What I need to know is where does this wire go/come from? It has been cut somehow and is just laying free. Does it need to have 12v to it in order for the lights to work? Does it need grounded? I cant find this info anywhere and I hate to buy a manual for this one thing

Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i gather the white is what supplies the power for everything. if wite is broken then no volts can get to switch or further to the lights

Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
neon_2000

Thank you very much. I assumed that this was the hot wire but wanted to be sure. Would it work if I hooked it straight to the positive of the battery just to test the lights?

Also when the switch is removed will I loose any transmission fluid?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
neon_2000

ok so what I saw last night was a little wrong. There are wires that go to a plug coming from the wiring harness. The white wire on that plug coming from the harness is hot with the igntion on just like it should be. The wire on the other side of the plug is the one that has been cut/broken.

Does it go to the switch on the transmission too? I would assume it does so that once the switch is activated in the transmission the power can come on thrugh to the purple wire and light up the bulbs but I cant get under the car to see (building some ramps at the moment)

Old 06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
leprechaun1874
Professional

the wires are run inside the car on the drivers side. pull all the door sills and turn the carpet back. or just open the trunk and check for power at the socket. You might want/need to take the drivers seat out to trace the wires easier.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 PM
neon_2000

Well I fixed it and the switch still works so thats 20-30 bucks I dont have to spend. I was able to get to everything by removing the airbox so I didnt need the ramps. I popped off the cap that goes on the switch in the transmission and it had two wires in it and a spot for another. It seems that the white power wire had been pulled out at some point, then an attempt to fix it failed and it was just hanging out with bare wires. Hence the blown fuse.

I stripped a new piece of wire and inserted it into the plug and checked continuity from the cap to the other end of the wire, I had a good connection so I taped it up good so it wont pull back out then I connected the new wire to the old white wire going into the electial connector and it works just as it should.

Thanks for the help guys and Id say I may be back as I fix up this car

Quick Reply: Needing assistance with backup light switch