2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

timing belt question(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Vermin65803
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt question(s)?

I have a 2000 dodge neon, i have been told that the 4 cylinder is a close compresion engine and that being said that a timing belt wouldnt or usually dosent slip several teeth and if the belt was going out it would make the car run like **** but not actaully kill it from even turning over? Is this true? The timing belt problems i have had on other cars were troublesome but not instant and didnt stop the car from turning over....so now... i have fixed all the codes which i found.. plusgs, wires, coil pack, crank shaft and camshaft position sensors and a 2 fuel umps ... i cant find a filter which is really odd?) ... i have a little bit of gas coming out of the gas pressure tip thing in front of the injectors...and the battareay is brand new... i have no codes but it wont actaully turn over... it doesnt sound like a starter but i have hit that a few times with a wrench and checked the cables.. i dont have that much of an oil leak but i have fairly new oil.. the breakers and the fuel relay have been checked... why isnt this a brain or something easier or cheaper than a timing belt... yes its 120k miles but its been a nice 120K... so what else should i check or change before droping the engine....or i have an idea about the oil pump.... but ive never even heard of one of those things going out and im poor and 30 so ive had some pretty ****ty cars before... anyways this was a question aimed at something others than the timing belt... the car ran pretty good for the time being? please tell me an answer? any will be ok

Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the timing belt breaks, with the engine being an interference-type engine (not sure what a "close compression" engine is), it makes the pistons and valves collide 99% of the time, thus destroying the engine. There is a fuel filter, nor should you be having random fuel leaks either.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Vermin65803

HAHA i just didnt have enough gas in the tank when i tried crancking it over... i figured it should at least girgle or lerch at a fireing over with what was left in the tank.... so after tightening the straps and getting it actually set in place with more gas in it... it fired over and then it reved like ****ing crazy... i let it go for a few secs to see if it was going to die but then i remembered i messed with the throttle cable when i changed the camshaft sensor... so after some swimming, a beer and sleep she will live again tomorow..thanks for a venting place to clear my thoughts lol

Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Vermin65803

OK so its not the throttle cable now, but the car will fire over pretty quick and rev violently and drop the rev violently and then drop like its redlining, back firing through the carb then drop down again just to repeat this process... i took the throttle body completly out and nothing is changing. i can pull a random plug and its adds a small miss from what i hear but its still doing the same thing... so help me narrow this down.. its not the throttle cable, nor the throttle body, or a vacuum leak.... so all this points me in the MAP sensor direction... i think i remember a map sensor going out once and doing the same on some random car i had years ago.. but i have no codes and no idea.... the little bit of pressure i had coming out has turned into quite a bit. but its not leaking its that tire gauge looking thing that spits out gas when the center pin is pushed... i have looked up and found that the filter is on the pump itself... soo now im out of ideas and stuck on the bike to and drom work again... which wouldnt suck however the bike is supposed to be a toy not a work horse...

Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Matix151
Rookie

look inside the throttle body and see how far the butterfly valve is open , should only be barely cracked open at idle.seriously sounds like a hung throttle , maybe IAC sticking

Quick Reply: timing belt question(s)?