2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP! new to the forum 2000 dodge neon

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM
neon_knight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! new to the forum 2000 dodge neon

i have a 2000 dodge neon i just replaced the top and bottom motor mounts because they were broken and i thought they were the reason i had a problem with my car but needless to say it did not help with my problem. OK so the problem is that when the car heats up to normal operating temp it does not wanna go from stop be it at a red light or stop sign. when i push the gas it runs rough and feels like it is gonna stall out. i am a single mom and do not know to much about cars and my boyfriend is at a loss he doesn't know what is wrong with it either and with school getting ready to i just don't know what to do any advice would be greatly appreciated. and if you need any more info let me know and i will try to of some help thank you very much

Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Neon section,
FF

Old 07-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Matix151
Rookie

as much info as you can give would help alot , its very hard to diagnose a car over the internet. is the check engine light on? if not you should still try and get it scanned to see if any pending codes are in memory as they can lead you in the right direction quicker. it only happens when warmed up? auto or manual? any other symptoms?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
gtoomey

On my 2003 neon I had my check engine light cone on. The error was a 0720 so I replaced my input and output sensors. Now my speedometer does not work and I say I limp mode all the time. I put the old ones back in no change. Do you have any thoughts? my gas guage is not working correctly

Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Matix151
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtoomey
On my 2003 neon I had my check engine light cone on. The error was a 0720 so I replaced my input and output sensors. Now my speedometer does not work and I say I limp mode all the time. I put the old ones back in no change. Do you have any thoughts? my gas guage is not working correctly
blown fuse for the cluster?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
opie9797
Rookie
Default many possibilities

i have a 2000 neon and i have searched everywhere but there is a couple trouble shooting things u can do. when was the last time you got a tune up plugs and wires how many miles do u have? and is your trans slipping. if all looks good try changing the shift soleniod that should work. let me know if something helps.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed about the plugs and wires, but before jumping to the shift solenoid...when was the last time the fluid and filter were changed?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
neon_knight

thank you to everyone who replied, the check engine light is not on, the car is an automatic, yes it seems to only mess up when the car warms up when i first start it and drive it is fine until it runs for like 10 or 15 minutes. it acts like it is gonna stall out and it does not wanna go i almost have to floor it to get it to move and when i stop i have to put it in neutral and push the gas so that it won't die also when i was driving the other day the hose for the brake booster came off. thanks again for any help

Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The spark plus should be changed with copper plugs every 30,000 miles, and gapped to 0.035" before installation.
The spark plug wires should be changed every 60,000 miles, or every other spark plug change. Any basic OEM replacement wire set will get the job done.

If those two things have not been done at the recommended intervals above, I'd start "fixing" the car with those. It's good preventative maintenance, and one of the least expensive but most important ones too.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I suppose I should add, if the plugs and wires have been changed at the proper intervals, you may look at the IAC next.

Quick Reply: HELP! new to the forum 2000 dodge neon