2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Charging System Issue, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 PM
The_Grimy_One
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Issue, Need Help

Hey guys,
Well I was swapping out my alt for a PT alt to get some more amps for my audio system. Well I ran a larger wire to my batt and it ended up getting grounded out on the catalytic converter, which is totally my fault

I have tried 2 diff alts, and my electrical light is still on and my batt is not being charged...

I then got my stock alt, new alt, and batt tested, all are in working condition. So now I must trouble shoot this issue. Well I did some research and someone said that it could be the voltage regulator, and that it is in the PCM. Is this true? I have an 03 SE. Another guy said that I could pick up a 14V regulator from an auto parts store and run it between the alt and batt, (I have been having trouble finding any though).

Please let me know what you think... My car is pretty much unusable from my stupid mistake :/ I did find a PCM for like $160, but dont want to spend that if its not what I need. I have checked all the wiring, the best as I can, but cant see all of it. Also, could it be a relay or fuse? Checked all the fuses in the fuse box and dash area, I believe all are good.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is why a fuse should be added to any line coming directly to/from the battery, most especially when running a cable from the alternator.

The regulator inside of the PCM can't be bypassed AFAIK; and if the internal voltage regulator is damaged, the PCM must be replaced. If all fuses and relays are good, it sounds like a PCM might be needed.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:45 PM
The_Grimy_One

Ok, and actually the wire wasnt connected to the battery yet, I had it tied to up, because I needed a nut to connect it to the terminal. I do have a fuse to run between it. Is it possible to check the relays? I will check all fuses again. I didnt see any that had to do with the alternator either...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM
The_Grimy_One

Btw, your avatar is sick!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Matix151
Rookie

there most certainly should be a maxifuse for the charging system under the hood

Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For clarification then: there was a new power wire that you added (not the OEM cable) coming off of the alternator, but not hooked to the battery, and that wire shorted out onto the cat?

Quick Reply: Charging System Issue, Need Help