2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Major Tune Up List

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Malves85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Tune Up List

I'm planning a major tune up on a 2005 Neon SXT and compiling a list. Let me know if there is anything I'm missing. This is going to be for 100k miles and assuming the 50k service hasnt been done. I checked the manual and dont see how many quarts of transmission or brake fluid I need.
I understand there are two levels of fluid for the automatic transmission. The first is 4-5 quarts and easy to do. The second requires the transmission to be dropped and another 4-5 quarts??

Amsoil 5W-20 XL Engine Oil – 5 quarts
Engine Oil Filter
Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission Filter
DOT 3 Brake Fluid
Spark Plugs
Spark Plugs Wire Set
Engine Air Filter
Fuel Filter
PCV Valve
Alternator and Power Steering Belt
Rear Engine Mount
Front Right Lower Engine Mount
Rear Left Upper Engine Mount
Automatic Transmission Mount
Timing Belt
Tensioner
Water Pump
Water Pump Gasket
Also the driver side door squeaks like crazy and it looks like the culprit is the arm in the below pics. I looked on the crysler site for the OEM part but cant figure out what it is from the poor diagram. Anyone got a part # for me?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no "set" amount of brake fluid as the level will vary based on how much life is left in the pads. A quart should be plenty to completely flush the system and then some.

Estimated service fill (filter and fluid change) on the automatic is 4.0 quarts. Transmission overhaul capacity with empty T/C is 8.6 quarts.

I'm hoping you are getting those wires and plugs for A LOT cheaper than the site says. The belts will be cheaper at a parts store too; just get a good brand like Goodyear, Gates, Dayco, etc.

You can get the whole Gates timing belt kit (belt, water pump, W/P gasket and tensioner) on Amazon for ~$85. You should replace the accessory belt tensioner pulley at the same time. About $30 at a local parts store.

The door thing is called a door check strap.
Right side: 05008660AD
Left side: 05008661AD

Last edited by darthroush; 07-31-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:33 AM
buddhaman
Veteran

Ditto on the plugs and wires. I got Bosch wires and Bosch Copper Super+ plugs and they work great, just make sure to check the gap on the plugs.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Malves85

Thanks guys for the info. I have a friend that works at an auto parts store so the links are so he knows exactly what to get and also to help me gauge about how much parts will be. Thanks for the door check number. That squeak has been killing me.

Quick Reply: Major Tune Up List