2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

oil/liquid? in pcm connector

Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM
CLYDELOUSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil/liquid? in pcm connector

Was checkin for shorts in my wiring and unplugged my right connector on my pcm and found an oily liquid any one have a clue what it might be? I didnt think it would b a normal thing since they are electrical

Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it clear? It could be some sort of dielectric grease...

Old 08-06-2011, 04:26 PM
CLYDELOUSE
Angry oil/liquid

It looks kinda like burnt oil without the smell. Looking under the hood the right connector has 1/8 of an inch and the left connector just a real light coating. If it helps i started looking because my tranny wouldnt shift past 2nd, speedometer went crazy and stopped reading, and odometer stopped reading miles lol oh n a/c quit gettin cold. i got codes 0500 0551 0137 0736 0700 0732 0720 0731

Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM
CLYDELOUSE
Default stuff in connectors

i reset the codes and p1684(battery disconnected in last 50starts)
P0700(transmission control system malfunction) are the only ones showing up but tranny still shifting into 2nd and then not shifting up or down while driving even manually dropping to first. the speedometer and odometer still are not working.Anybody have that much go wrong at the same time before? I tried to track down a short but couldnt find one. Any helpful advise would be AWSOME!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can clean the oily stuff out with some contact cleaner I believe it's called. It's made by CRC and is available at most parts stores.

I'm not looking up all of those codes, but if the speedometer and odometer aren't working, one or both of your speed sensors are probably bad (looking at that list, there are probably codes for both). I know P0731 and P0732 are incorrect gear ratio for first and second gear, which is definitely going to cause limp-mode. Those could very well be caused by bad speed sensors.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
CLYDELOUSE

oh thats ok i bought the Haynes manual and it told me all the codes. U dnt think thats (oily stuff) something thats should b in there right? I didnt but never have seen it before. The only thing the manual doesnt tell me is if there is a way to test the sensors and tcm just how to replace em. If any one happens to know. The battery has been needing jumped to start if it sits to long so im going to keep running down wires for shorts.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If it's only in the one connector, and it isn't clear like dielectric grease is, then no; it probably shouldn't be there. If you are getting codes for the sensors, most likely they need replacing. I believe to test the speed sensors, you need the Dodge tool as it reads RPM's.

If the battery keeps draining, there could be a drain, but it could also be a bad alternator, battery or corroded wiring.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
blueneon413

I think there is a hose going from the transmission to the radiator on ur right side were the PCM is . On mine that hose blew on me going on the highway and all the transmission fluid went flying everywhere. The only way I found out it had blown was because smoke started to come out from the muffler. The oil got onto the exhaust manifold and started to burn the oil.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
CLYDELOUSE

Thanx for the input guys! when i get it straightened out i will put a new post in case anybodybody has multiple things go awire.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Getpaidct

For anyone looking for answers this oil is actually power steering fluid!!! What happens in these durangos is the switch goes bad and forces fluid thru the wire and back to the pcm... Ultimately it causes different short conditions inside of the pcm because power steering fluid is very nasty stuff it eats thru everything it touches inside causing things to ground out or stay in loop.... For example my Durango kept the iac always in closed loop and the Pcm was so fried it thought it was normal and didn't throw a code but idled rough and poor acceleration.... Testing the sensor itself read good but when turned the key the iac sensor just wiggeled never opening meaning the pcm was shorted open inside the board from the protective coating being eaten away and now always live instead of controlled by pcm.... The proper fix is to change the power steering switch, change the pcm and people get away with cleaning the wire harness connectors but really what needs to be done is also change the wire harness completely due to the oil actually inside of the wire itself and you can never get it all out I don't care how good u say u are... Not even a prosty can suck thru a wire that small and get a drop lol... Hope this helps to anyone having stalling rough idle and all kinda codes popping up and they can't ever seem to fix it by changing sensors like u would assume, it's your pcm slowly dieing from liquid death thru the wire inside its brain haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil/liquid? in pcm connector