2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Body valve!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
auptimus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body valve!?!?!

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and I apologize if my question has already been asked. Here is my problem. The shift handle for my 2003 Dodge Neon SXT is sometimes hard to shift from P to N to D. I took it to my dealer for a oil change and asked them to take a look at that and their estimate is $697.00. On the estimate, it says "Needs valve body". What is a valve body and where is it located! I'd like to buy and replace it myself. I googled it and I cannot find anything about it.
I appreciate any help from you guys.
My best regards,
Auptimus.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
All questions are good to ask. This is how we all learn. The valve body is inside the transmission. Here are two easy ways to check for a shifter problem. One put the brake brake on and block the wheels. 2nd remove the shifter cable from the transmission lever. 3rd get in the car and move the shifter. Is it feel smooth or is it binding. If it not binding, then the last step, move the lever at the transmission. Does it feel like it really hard to take out or park and thru the other gears. If it feels like it binding, then you need a valve body. If you need help on how to replace the valve body, just us know.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The valve body assembly consists of a cast aluminum valve body, a separator plate, and transfer plate. The valve body contains valves and check ***** that control fluid delivery to the torque converter clutch, solenoid/pressure switch assembly, and frictional clutches.
It is up above the transmission oil pan inside the transmission.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
auptimus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Looks like it's a little bit complicated to replace that valve body. I'd better have it done by my dealer as they use OEM parts.
I appreciate your help.
My best regards
Auptimus.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could also find a good OEM replacement, buy it, and see what other well-known local shops would charge to simply change it out. The dealer isn't usually the cheapest when it comes to labor, and certainly not parts.

Quick Reply: Body valve!?!?!