2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

easier way to change headlamps???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easier way to change headlamps???

a while back i tried the method prescribed in the manual to change the bulbs -removing, the reinstalling entire light assembly(Just to see how difficult it would be), and if i remember correctly, to get the "arm" that juts toward the center of the car back into place i had to remove the screws & retaining clips from the top of the grille, and pry it out ward, while slipping the assembly in. i remember referring to the person who designed this system as something along the lines of a "**** Sadist"

Today the right(Passenger) side lamp burned out.( Factory bulbs BTW, never been changed before)

am i a complete dope? is there a much easier way to do this with out having to disconnect the top half of the bumper cover?

i'll say in advance, that i cannot reach through the holes in the panels on the drivers side a) cuz that's where the tube for my CAI comes in, and b)fat clumsy hands.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 AM
leprechaun1874
Professional

It is a little difficult to change the bulbs but it's not that hard. 3 bolts per side and slide/ wiggle them out.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed both of my bulbs in about 5 minutes. The right side is accessible without having to take anything off or out. The left side just needs the airbox lid and inlet tube removed, which you don't have, so it too should be just sitting there. If you are doing it "right," the size of your hand will not matter.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
earlyre
Professional

leprechaun, the issue i was having last time wasn't the out, it's the back in...

and darth, if you remember some of our previous exchanges, b/c of the unique install of my CAI, i DO still have the box, and the tube that essentially IS the cai runs down through that hole that i think you are saying to reach through.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
leprechaun1874
Professional

same thing on putting them back in. I had to take mine out several times getting the hids installed, never took me more than about 5 minutes for both lights.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh, didn't remember you had the "custom" CAI. I just took the lid off of mine and I was able to reach it. You aren't reaching through any hole; just right to the back of the headlight. I'm not a small guy, so I'm sure you'll manage to get it.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
earlyre
Professional

ended up just going w/ the procedure in the owner's manual. not as tricky as i remembered it being after all.

darth, after actually opening the hood & looking, instead of trying to go by memory, i see exactly what you are talking about, but my intake tube goes right within a fraction of an inch of the pigtail for the driver's side lamp.

if i can remember how i will upload pics of the intake setup so you can see what i'm on about.

The tube doesn't quite match up to the cover, but must have been enough to get by the annual enviro inspection in TX

on this pic you can see the 3 wires for the headlamp right next to the downward bend of the pipe...

Last edited by earlyre; 09-01-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: direct linking photos (couldnt get this to work last time)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing it. Sounds quite...interesting.

Quick Reply: easier way to change headlamps???