2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Exhaust leak or neon engine tick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 AM
HEMI ?
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak or neon engine tick?

I just purchased a 2004 dodge neon 5 speed and i have noticed on accel at about 3200+ rpm i start to hear a small ticking. The car runs good gets about 30mpg but i am unsure of what oil was used to change it last. I plan on changing the oil to a mobil one 5-20 oil soon maybe that will help this issue. I have read a few other thraeds and most are saying on cold start up or all the time. Mine is just when i rev it over 3200. At about 4 to 4.5k the engine noise covers it so i could nto tell you if its still their or not.

On a side note where is the best place to get engine mounts? OEM dealer or is their an aftermarket one thas better/last longer?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
HEMI ?
Rookie

A little update into my issue. I started by pulling the plug wires out 1 at a time to see if the noise went away and it did not. I was told doing this would let me know if the noise was in the bottom end of the engine ie pistons slap. I still have not changed the oil....i was always bd with this..lol. I went to go change the plugs i baught and apparently i did not specify when i said i wasnt the cheap champion copper plugs cause he got me the darn platnum ones and i did nto check before i left.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 PM
HEMI ?
Rookie

Got home and replaced my spark plugs. They were ngk's and gapped or worn pretty good gaps were anywhere from .40 to .50. I put some good ol copper champions in their and its runnign smoother then b4. I will cehck the tick in the morning and see if tis gone.

Also i took a pic of the top motor mount and i think it needs replacing

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust leak or neon engine tick?-motor-mount.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pulling wires one at a time tells you what cylinder a misfire might be on. Sounds like it's just the Neon tick.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak or neon engine tick?