2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

synthetic motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
NeonSaab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic motor oil?

I've searched the forum for this info, but to no avail.
Time for my first oil change for my newly acquired 2005 Neon SXT, with 59,000 miles on it. It has been serviced regularly since new (my sister's car),but always with penzoil dino oil. I want to change it(I'm a DIY' er) to full synthetic. Is this an OK idea, or should I leave well enough alone. The car looks and runs like new. I'm thinking synthetic would help increase the longevity of the car and help improve mileage.If so what weight,brand etc. would you recommend. I use Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in my Saabs. What say ye?

Last edited by NeonSaab; 09-25-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 PM
wHipPrOper3
Rookie

if you want the best, get Amsoil synthetic..they offer change intervals between 15-25k or once a year, whichever comes first. The oil filters as well, 15k. Their website provides a search for exactly what to get vehicle specific. also they dont sell it in stores, it's very rare(in stores).

Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I say you are changing to synthetic oil for the wrong reasons and are going to be wasting money.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
earlyre
Professional

here's my 2 cents: I use a synthetic blend on my '05 sxt, mainly b/c that's what has always been in it.( bought it from my brother, a hard core diy'er, who kept meticulous records. ) since he bought it new it's always had a syn-blend 5-w20. (he used what ever brand was on sale @ the time, I've just always been a Valvoline guy) , so i've kept that up, just for consistency's sake. (also i signed it up for the Valvoline engine guarantee, @ the 225k level, which requires a blend) ( the regular maxlife is a synthetic blend fyi)
if it's always had regular oil, and everything looks/works fine, why dump extra money into it? (that being said, it's your car, you can do what ever you want.)

If you take 1 thing from this post, let it be that the recommended weight is 5-w20

Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, the main thing is you switch to synthetic oil for extended OCI or for some uses, better protection. A 2.0L Dodge Neon, however, does not need full synthetic for that better protection part as they are not a high-revving, or a high power, car that is used for a "severe" purpose. Longer OCI, fine. I did that for a while, until full syn went up in price a bit to not make it worth while IMO on the Neon.

I've been running Motorcraft Syn Blend 5W20 for some time now.

Quick Reply: synthetic motor oil?