2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Neon SE Power window/lock conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:37 AM
MJSchutt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Neon SE Power window/lock conversion help

Hi, I am the new owner of a 2003 SE. Quite a large change from my 83 Datsun 280zx. Just bought the car and it has bare basics. for now what i would like to do is convert over to power windows and locks, install a actuator for the trunk, and replace the original front door panels with the ones that are meant to go with the power windows and locks so it looks like it was meant to be. im going to the local junk yard on sunday to see if i can find any Neon's that have the actuators/motors and such on them. This will be my first venture doing anything with this car. is there anything I should know before taking on this project? Will i have to run new wiring or is it plug and play?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It should have the plugs there to just plug everything in.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM
MJSchutt
Amateur

sweet, thats what i was hoping for. I could do all the wiring, but I'd rather save myself four hours.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's my understanding the pigtails are there too for the foglights as well.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM
MJSchutt
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
It's my understanding the pigtails are there too for the foglights as well.
any idea where they would be located? I would need to get the bumper with the foglight's, but its something want to do eventually. Where on the dash would the switch be located for those?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You'd have to buy the MFS with the foglight option and change it out. No idea where they are exactly; it's just what I've heard several times.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:44 PM
MJSchutt
Amateur

Went to the junkyard Sunday, got everything all taken apart and I can say for certain all the plugins are NOT in an easy location. All the door electronics join a wiring harness that goes all the way across the door-jam, through the dash, and connect at the center region under the dash, right above the center console, into the "remote entry receiver" (on models equipped with all this stuff).

On the bare basic SE it doesn't have any of that and no place to plug anything in.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That is a bummer indeed, as this was something I wanted to do one day. Perhaps the earlier 2gns had the plugins in the door (mid-2001 was when Dodge started removing "unnecessary" parts from the cars).

Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 AM
MJSchutt
Amateur

That's an interesting thought, I'm pretty sure the one I was ripping apart (the base model I checked out) was a 2002. It certainly wasn't 03+. I think I'm gonna ask my mechanic what type of door lock kit he recommends and then just do a generic. I also wanted to say, I got the power trunk latch off, and even though it looks like it would all work. once i took a look at the female end of the plug on the inside of my trunk, I realized, it was the same plug, they just hadn't run all the wires to it. It had the wiring needed to operate the third brake light, but none of the stuff for the latch.

I also want to see about getting a light for the inside of the trunk that will come on when opened. If anyone has any suggestions.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Wiring a trunk light is fairly easy. The ground is the connector on the latch (on the backside). You can slide a connector over it. Power to a pink wire that is near the backseat area. I just haven't wanted to spend $25-$30 + shipping on an LED strip. I found a battery powered LED light on sale for a few dollars. Couple of magnets and I'm set.

After mid-2001, Neons didn't come with trunk lid carpets, cupholder lights, glove box lights and apparently the pigtails for power acc. options.

Quick Reply: 2003 Neon SE Power window/lock conversion help