2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Mtx trans removal and repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 AM
chew*
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we have established a pattern and I have a spare set of forks and all accompanying gears shift forks and snycros the only thing that really needs to be nipped in the bud is these diffs falling apart which in turn nukes other parts in the transmission.

Qualife diff = $1000

OBX Diff = poor Quality control.

Turbounleashed.com = quality controlled and improved OBX for a small fee.

I'm looking into an OBX LSD for the t-350 for now from this company http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/slip...ial-p-306.html
which seems to ensure that all the normal issues you could have with the "cheaper" OBX brand build quality are addressed, aside from that I would just have to have the output shaft gears beveled so that the C clips on axles will release properly.

Roughly $600 + my $160 in parts to rebuild.

Not quite cheap but I need reliablilty.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen something where the OBX's aren't that bad if the springs or something like that are upgraded? I could probably find the info if you are interested in it at all.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
I've seen something where the OBX's aren't that bad if the springs or something like that are upgraded? I could probably find the info if you are interested in it at all.
The service and slight extra cost are for a dissasemble, remove cast flashing reassemble correctly ( apparently they come assembled wrong quite often ) replace bellville washers and bolts.

So yah already read up and knew about that.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never heard about assembly problems. Better off the other route in that case for sure.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 AM
chew*
Professional

Scored another trans and engine combo for $250.

Was worth it just in parts, alternator, starter, sensors, injectors,= etc etc and I scored a littens mechanical belt tensioner that I needed.

Trans was sitting outside so took in some water so I pulled it apart for inspection, this one def needs bearings, found a spring floating around which came from 1/2 syncro ring gear assembly.

Since I have been amassing trannies I have spare parts from the first trans to fix it.

Gonna take a stab at a experimental fix for the diff pin with this one while waiting for the OBX to arrive.

I also found more toys but that can wait for another thread, before I add even more power I need it to handle the existing without failure.

I have another project as well, picked up a t-boned avenger for $500 I plan to toss on frame machine so will update as time allows......

Last edited by chew*; 11-12-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 AM
chew*
Professional

Ok pics are a little late considering my car is already back on road.

Horrible quality but you get the idea.....lots and lots of parts and it still works and I fixed the orginal issue with vibration.....

After having been through the entire internals now I really think i'm gonna knuckle down and get the t-850 swapped in.

The t-350's are just not meant to handle the abuse.

Shift forks were fine, replaced 1/2 ring gear and syncros, bearings and seals all the way around. Differential. Had to reshim the new diff.....

A must for this type of work....without a shop press you shouldn't even bother with transmission work.....I must say this trans is a pita to reassemble.....the T-850 is alot easier to work on. Once you get all the parts in it's a bitch to get the front and rear section to line up right.

I experimented with sealant seeing as I realized about 8pm that I had none nor had i asked what is spec.....

I decided for this application Indian Head gasket shellac should work, went to zone and grabbed some and sure enough no leaks

Like I said lots of parts......this type of job is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced....

Finally cleaned garage as winter is coming and work needs to be done indoors now.

Didn't take any finished shots yet.....not that it really matters....looks like any other MTX installed.

Quick Reply: Mtx trans removal and repair