2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Yet more vibration problems.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Exodyus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yet more vibration problems.

I've been the only owner of my vehicle since 2005 and it's been in two accidents. The first was Dealer repaired, due to some dumb high school blonde pulling out in front of me.

The second was my wife, rear-ending an old late 80s Accord, which did nothing to their car and everything to mine. I've been slowly repairing it ever since.

So -- here's the issue:

I've had vibration like a mad-man ever since the accident, and at first it was just those worthless motor mounts. The top and bottom, right side -- and I've fixed them, Lord-knows how many times.

They're currently fine.

Within the past few days though, there's been a vibration that sounds like the engine is purring (like someone is gasin' from about 750 rpms to around 550 rpms) and it does this only when at a stop AND in gear. [1,3,Drive]

When you drop it into Neutral, it's perfectly fine. No sounds. There's still massive vibrational noise, but that seems to just be a pain in the ***.

1.) How do I fix the idling purr. (Which btw, doesn't actually affect the RPMs at all, it just sounds like it is)

2.) What else might be busted/broken that would cause vibration, from a front-end collision?

Collision didn't deploy airbags, was under 15 mph, enough to fold the hood, bust up the headlight clips, but not the lights (lol), bust up the radiator clips, and bend the cross-member where the hoodlatch comes down.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 PM
houndog97
Rookie

My car has suffered from a rough idle for years and I have done like you and changed all the mounts. Now I come to find that the torque struts have to be adjusted. The easiest way to do this is loosen both the bottom and top then have someone get in the car put it in reverse and then lock it down once the engine tilts back which is how it's supposed to be. Sounds like the engine is tilted forward to much . Let me know how it goes i did it and it's much better. Doesn't cost a dime either !

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Exodyus

Originally Posted by houndog97
My car has suffered from a rough idle for years and I have done like you and changed all the mounts. Now I come to find that the torque struts have to be adjusted. The easiest way to do this is loosen both the bottom and top then have someone get in the car put it in reverse and then lock it down once the engine tilts back which is how it's supposed to be. Sounds like the engine is tilted forward to much . Let me know how it goes i did it and it's much better. Doesn't cost a dime either !
What tools do I need?

I'm on a military base right now, so I'm without my garage back home. I can wait until mid-December, but this is f&#kin' annoying the hell out of me.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
houndog97
Rookie

Loosen both torque struts and have someone put it in reverse then tighten while the motor is tilted back then tighten it back down. I have tried everything else including messing with the back stop and that was a big mistake don't mess with the idle ! Good luck ! It's much better now and that's all i can say........

Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 PM
houndog97
Rookie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet more vibration problems.