2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
dodgeneon24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overheating

Today was going to do oil change, and drain the coolant on her 2004 Dodge Neon. First, could not get the plug off the oil pan, it broke my socket. So just put new filter on and would have pep boys or some place do it.

Could not find the radiator drain plug, so was just going to pour some coolant in it. On my car, I just took off the lower radiator hose, which i did but not much came out. She is just a worrier about the water freezing, it took about 1/4-1/2 gallon.

So they tried driving it, and in 5 minutes it overheated. They stupidly drove it home while it was beeping. So they brought it home, let it cool off. The coolant i poured in came right out the overflow. There are no visible leaks, all the hoses look good. Only one of the fans is working, and when i turned car on it started to warm up quick.

I have very good knowledge of cars, just put a 3500 in my Grand Am so I am hoping I will be able to fix this, just use to the GM cars so hoping to get a little guidance. I am thinking maybe thermostat? And i am just really hoping them driving with it over heated did not kill the engine

2004, I believe 2.0L
110k miles
Do not know much of maintenance, was driven hard by the people who gave it to her

Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like there might be a lot of air in the system because the coolant change (not sure if that's what was trying to be accomplished)?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Since it got that hot I suggest changing the thermostat. Next time you go to put coolant in it, take off the radiator and reservoir cap and let the engine idle til it gets to normal operating temp. Once the thermostat opens add the coolant to get air bubbles out. Once it's full put the other caps on and you should be good to go unless they screwed up the (aluminum) head. The drain petcock should be on the passenger side of the radiator near the outlet of the lower hose.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Change it even though there were no problems until an...interesting attempt at changing the coolant?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

I've had some that either stayed in open loop or closed loop after overheating and none were the failsafe ones and were different brands. Other people I have talked to have had the same thing happen. Think of it as cheap insurance and you can keep the old one as an emergency backup.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
dodgeneon24

Its not my car, she wanted to put coolant in so was going to. Although it did not really need it, figured just drain some out and pour the stuff i bought in to make her happy.

I am fairly sure I will end up having to put a new engine in they told me they drove it about 3-4+ miles while car was overheating and beeping, it shut down. They started it again to get it home. This car has had one problem after another, probably for the better to have a better engine in there :/

Quick Reply: Overheating