2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Can't find the ignition wire for my remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM
rogerthat94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find the ignition wire for my remote start

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon Base model. I purchased an Avital Model 4200 and installed it according to this guide.

When I try to start it with the remote, with the car off, the parking lights turn on and off, then the relays just clicks a bunch of times and it repeats this twice. If I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "Run" position (So the dash has power, but the engine isn't running), then try and start it with the remote, it works perfectly.

When I tried to troubleshoot it, I noticed the "Dark Blue" wire they say is an ignition wire has ~(+)12V constantly, even with the car off. Additionally, the "Black/Orange" wire they say is 2nd ignition turns off with the car, but it drops to ~(+)4V when the start cracks.

That diagram mentioned the "Black/Orange" as both 2nd ignition, and accessory, so I connected the "Dark Blue" wire to the 1st ignition on my remote start unit, the "Black/Orange" wire to the 2nd ignition on my remote start unit, and the "Black/White" to the accessory wire on my remote start unit.

Has anybody successfully installed a remote start on this car? Is the Dark Blue ignition wire supposed to be hot with the car off? What color wires on the car are the two ignition wires and accessory wire on the remote start supposed to be connected to?

My car starts just fine with hardware store copied keys, so I don't think I need a bypass module. Thanks in advance for any insight! Sorry if this post is too much of a ramble. I tried to give as much information as possible, but I can clarify anything.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I understand is if you have a chipped key (the gray ones), you either have to stick a programmed one above the ignition so it gets the signal, or the correct way is to buy the key box. It sounds like the remote start works when you have the key in the ignition because the car is getting the signal from the key.

Last edited by darthroush; 02-13-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
rogerthat94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It turns out I had the wrong wire. Apparently the wire I thought was the ignition wire was actually a 12v constant, and the real ignition wire was a lighter shade of blue. Everything works now!

Quick Reply: Can't find the ignition wire for my remote start