2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
jord712
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad gas mileage

I have a 2001 dodge neon es and it is getting at the most 20 mpg but i would like 16 is more realistic. What are some common problems on these neons that cause bad gas mileage? I replaced the PCV valve yesterday and bought some sea foam fuel treatment, I havnt added that yet but will soon. I just put a new fuel pump in so the problem cant be there. Could this be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator? And by the way there is no check engine light on.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
fhadso
Veteran

I use Lucas fuel injector cleaner about once a month, I have a full cold air intake, I've Seafoamed the **** out of it, and I just recently cleaned the throttle body and I get around 28. Neons are good on gas, but driving them in the city is pointless.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad gas mileage is usually caused by not performing basic maintenance. Air filter, plugs, wires and such at the proper times, along with proper tire pressure (or a bit more than recommended, depending what your tires are rated for). That, or people can't keep the pedal away from the floor. An engine is not fuel efficient at full throttle, nor at zero or just above zero.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
jord712
Amateur

The car is actually my girlfriends so I guess I cant tell you how her driving habits are when im not in the car. As for the other stuff we got the car about 4 months ago I replaced plugs and wires right away, and checked air filter and it was clean, I supposed I can check again. I just replaced the pcv valve and the old one I put some air through it and could hear some getting through it so it was a little worn. Also I just ran sea foam through the gas and as of now the car is almost down to half a tank and at the rate it is going it will get about 30 mpg so I think we are back to normal on the gas mileage.
Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM
The Old Guy
Amateur

I check my mileage quite often as a drop in mileage is a sign something is wrong. I average 32 mpg in the winter and running the A/C during the hot months I average 30 mpg.
So if you can get 30 mpg I think that's about right.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It does also depend on terrain. I average roughly 24MPG around where I live because I am constantly going up and down steep hills, and the little 4 cylinder engine needs more throttle to make it up 'em. I know it's the terrain because on the highway, I'm up into the mid to higher 30's.

Quick Reply: Bad gas mileage