2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 AM
hokiefan104
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas

Just wondering what kind of gas everyone uses in their 2nd gen. neons. I have been using 89 because its seems to perform better than when I use 87. So that brings me to another question, is it just my imagination telling that my car is performing better.

edit: oh yeah and a third question. is it better to drive with the windows down or with the A/C on?

Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 AM
Somethingdirty
Professional
Default RE: Gas

Gas? I....use... premium. I think with the premium gasses you get about 2 ponies. I can feel the difference from regular and premium.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
casper
Legend

you really don't need to use anything higher than 87. I run a tank of 93 or 94 through the car every month or 2. But thecar is meant to run on 87 unless it is an ACR or R/T.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:57 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: casper

you really don't need to use anything higher than 87. I run a tank of 93 or 94 through the car every month or 2. But thecar is meant to run on 87 unless it is an ACR or R/T.
Exactly. I use 87 in my car. The dealership told me to use 87 b/c anything higher is too rich for it. Only if you have a high output engine like the R/T you should go any higher. Or if you get an upgraded PCM or something.

Of course you will save more gas by riding with the AC off and the windows down. Keep your windows up at high speeds b/c it will cause a drag and you wont get as good of gas milage.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 89 all the time.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I use 89 most the time. Run 93 sometimes, just depends on how much it is. My car tends to run better with the higher octane, I put regular in awhile back and it didn't seem to like that too much. Maybe it got used to the higher octane gas? I dunno....I just do it because it seems to run better and get a bit better mileage. I don't expect anymore power because of it though.

Old 08-19-2005, 03:19 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: LowSlowNeon

I use 89 most the time. Run 93 sometimes, just depends on how much it is. My car tends to run better with the higher octane, I put regular in awhile back and it didn't seem to like that too much. Maybe it got used to the higher octane gas? I dunno....I just do it because it seems to run better and get a bit better mileage. I don't expect anymore power because of it though.
The reason for that is that the PCM "learns" to run on 89 if that what you use. If you reset the PCM and start using 87, you will get the same results. When you put 87 in and you have been running 89, the PCM has to relearn, hence it is kind of lost and you will lose power. Unless you have some mods that will benifit with a higher octane, its a waste of money. General rule of thumb, read the manual, and do what it recomends.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:20 AM
TSchott

Just for the gas question, it has physically been proven that you get better gas mileage with your car windows rolled up and air conditioner turned on then you do with the windows rolled down and air conditioner turned off. The diffrence is about 5-10 miles per gallon difference!

Old 10-28-2005, 05:02 PM
casper
Legend

It depends on the speed you are driving. Around town driving it does not mattter AC or windows.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:37 PM
ewetho
All Star

That is funning kept hearing that in school but my last car got better milage with the windows down than with the AC on and windows up. And you may think I am nuts but did not mythbuster ust try that stunt and found without a doubt that it was the windows down car that did better??? They say it only take a couple of HP to run a modern AC unit but most of the windforce generated is of the B-Pillar and you can simulate this for an Idea of howmuch force is needed to cause this by just stick your arm outside the b-pillar. I can hold mine up at over 70 and I am sure a horse can do more work than my arm. Really try it and look were the wind force is generated in your car. I generally only have just the drivers window down and that may play into it a little more but still most of the wind is generated but the b-pillar.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah I used my last car cause this one has no AC