2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Transmission or maybe Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012 | 12:10 AM
nualex21
|
Exclamation Transmission or maybe Electrical issue

Ok so I'm new to the Neon scene. My 02, 2.0 SOHC was given to me by a friend when I was down on my luck. The problem is that it was in a front end accident, and sat for about 2-3 years, so now I'm playing catch up on all the maintenance and repairs.

My current problem has me stumped. Last night I was driving home and turned on my high beams, a little later I had a high rev, the gauges danced, the fog lamp indicator cam on, the wiper blades wouldn't shut off even thought they weren't on and the car went into "limp mode" but would jump to second if you turn the high beams on or off. That's what had me thinking it was an electrical issue.

I pulled these codes from the tcm P0124,p0884,p0077,p0218 and just the battery disconnect from the pcm.

Today I spliced a few wires that looked banged up, even cleaned the connector for the Transmission Control Solenoid. I know the transmission fluid and filter needs to be cleaned. I'm doing that Friday. It may need a new battery. It sat for a while and a cell maybe bad. I'm testing that tomorrow. All the grounds seem to be intact. I'm going to check the transmission input/output and the throttle positioning sensors tomorrow and have that information for any one later in the day. For now the problem is intermittent, no fog lamp indicator, sometimes it shifts on its own, the wipers come on and off every 10-30 seconds and the speedometer is the only thing dancing.

I don't want to sink a ton into this car because its just meant to get me back on my feet while I save up for something of my own, so I'm looking for some solid leads before I start buying high dollar parts.

Old 05-24-2012 | 01:29 AM
fhadso
Veteran

First do a sweep test on your cluster. Hold the trip button while turning the key to the ON position so the needles will reset themselves. That might take care of that issue. As far as the others, I would look into a new MFS. The thing that controls your lights. As well as the wiper switch.

Old 05-24-2012 | 08:59 AM
nualex21
|

I've done the sweep test and all the gagues work fine, but that didnt fix it. I'll look into the MFS, but this morning it finally threw the p0700 code on the way to work.

Old 05-24-2012 | 08:09 PM
nualex21
|

The MFS seems fine and so does everything else I mentioned checking. I've read through a lot of threads and the only thing that seems to keep popping up is that i should change my Transmission Control Solenoid.

I just still cant figure out why the car shifts when i turn on the high beams. Is it possible that if the TCS shorted internally that its causing this.

Old 05-27-2012 | 09:43 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator

Based on those codes and something to do with switching beams leads me to believe it is some sort of electrical issues. A cluster reset only fixes a mechanical problem- when the needles go all the way around and end up under 0. No idea how that happens, but it does. Anyways, you've got codes for a few circuit problems.

P0124 is Throttle Position Sensor/APPS intermittent. MIL will light, but there will be no limp-in mode (transmission stays in second gear). This is probably part of the revving problem.
Thinking out loud: Did someone perhaps wire something from the TPS into the headlight circuit, which is why the car is freaking out when you are switching them on and off?
Possible causes are:
  • Wiring problem
  • TPS
  • PCM

P0884 is Power up at speed. No MIL or limp-in mode.
Set condition: If the PCM powers up while in the ‘‘Drive’’ position and the vehicle is going above 20 MPH, the code is set. This might be there because the car is tripping out at speed.

I'm not sure how P0077 relates to the Neon.

P0218 is Transmission over temperature. Seems like it is related to your problem, or the thing is just low on fluid, which could be exacerbating the other problems as well.
Possible causes:
  • Vehicle transmission/transaxle won't engage
  • Leaking fluid out of torque converter seal or other location
  • Low fluid in transmission/transaxle

Old 05-28-2012 | 06:09 PM
nualex21
|

Ok so I think it maybe the TPS. Its look like there are a few spliced wires running to it. Is there any where I can find a wiring guide.

Old 05-28-2012 | 08:32 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator

FSM link in my sig.

Quick Reply: Transmission or maybe Electrical issue