2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Power steering leak and clunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM
NewarkVW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power steering leak and clunk Now with Pics

Hello all,
The car 2003 Neon SXT. She called me and told me she herd a squealing and the a loud clunk on the way home. When I go to her place it was dark so I could not tell what was up. I did notice the power steering fluid was all the way out so I added some and the sequel went away but the fluid quickly leaked out. So most likely a hose has a hole in to, No biggie. But what would the loud clunk she herd be? I know very little about Dodge or even power steering. My auto experience are with jeeps 25+ years old with no power steering.

Thanks alot.

O and I forgot to add that there is a big puddle of power steering fluid under the car and its coming from some place but since I have no one to turn the wheel for me so I can look its a real PITA

What I did was dry everything and then lay a paper towel under the high pressure hose and the return line on top of the rack, then I turned the wheel back and forth. It was dry. Then I found these two lines on the back of the rack. and wrapped them in paper towel it became wet with power steering fluid, but I could not see any place they were leaking. I'm sure its possible it was running down the lines from some place else but IDk. Any thoughts would be great.
Name:  DSCN0256.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  251.7 KB
Name:  DSCN0252.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  314.5 KB

Also it drives fine and dose not seem to have any issues, or even make noise besides when the power steering fluid runs out and it wines like a school girl.

Last edited by NewarkVW; 05-25-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 PM
caoe74
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like your power steering pressure sensor(idle switch) is lose, or the seal is broken... Or maybe the two lines above it.

Last edited by caoe74; 05-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM
NewarkVW

You know I had even though to look at the sensor, Im not sure why I didnt but the two lines above that I wrapped in paper towel to see if they were leaking did get wet from the bottom. Which is were the sensor is located. Ill check it in the Am. as the car is 20 miles from my house "didnt want to take it on highway: till the issue was fixed.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 PM
NewarkVW

Here is a different angle Name:  DSCN0259.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  309.1 KB

Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

I don't see anything I could use to help you.. Have someone get in the car and turn the wheel while you look for a leak...

Quick Reply: Power steering leak and clunk