2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

short ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Neonewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks sxt AND fhadso Wouldnt it be possible to install a short ram now, hook up the sensors and then if i wanted a cai just buy a generic pipe / clamp and install it into the short ram pipe?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
fhadso
Veteran

If I'm understanding you correctly, technically yes. Functionally/easily, no. Yea, you could go through the trouble of doing a homebrew CAI, but it's not that simple. The pipe would need to have a certain bend to it, as the area a CAI goes into is relatively small. The pipe has to bend at a certain angle to clear the splash guard, and removing it would cause more harm than good.

Pros of a CAI:
Allows more cool air in, thus improving horsepower
Has a deeper tone that is sometimes mistaken for a tuned exhaust

Cons:
If done improperly, water, road debris, etc can clog it
The filter isn't as easily replaced.

Personally, what I do with a new vehicle is get the most basic CAI I can get, installation-wise, and see how I like it. Then, after a few months (generally how long it takes to dirty it up) I replace it with a better one. While this isn't exactly economical, it's a good learning experience.

So basically, what I'm saying is just buy the short ram for now, and if you're not satisfied just spend $10 more than the short ram and get a CAI.

But I can definitely say that I like my CAI better than the short ram. Either way, you're getting more horsepower and gas mileage.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Neonewbie
Professional

The short ram came with a bracket but, i have no idea where it goes lol

Dumbies didnt send me instructions..

Suggestions would be awesome please thanks

Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
earlyre
Professional

Originally Posted by Neonewbie
Have any of you with a cold air intake tested the air temp going into your filter/pipe?

Wouldnt most of the pipe soak in heat from the "hot" souroundings on both cai and sri?

The air coming from the hot black top couldnt be much cooler.

Part of the reason i was thinking about gettong a sri over a cai, is that i can most likely install it my self and i could get to it easier when i wanted to clean or replace the filter.

$30 for the kit

btw I have an 01 SE
well i am constantly "testing" the Intake air temp of my CAI, but only b/c, of the data points the obdII system reports, that is the closest there is to being an external temp display.( my car not equipped with such a display I think some did in the Mirror, along w/ a dig.Compass)

I have a scanguage II installed, and the 4 points i am normally displaying are Intake air Temp, "real time"MPG (updates every 3 sec. or so), Average MPG, and MPH. i might switch the MPH to water temp in the winter, just so i can see how close i am to getting heat...

if you are sitting still, yes the temp readings tend to skew upward, (nice day in the 50's, intake temp is showing 90-100 w/ engine @ temp and heat radiating from parking lot blacktop. when you are moving, it may be off <5 deg. @ speed , matches up pretty well to any temp displays i drive past.

changing and/or removing(cleaning)re-installing a cone filter on the CAI isn't that difficult. just lay on the ground, and reach up in side the fender as if you wanted to change the bulb on your side marker w/o removing the lens. the unit is right there. don't have to remove any splash guards or fender skirts to do so.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
earlyre
Professional

thanks sxt AND fhadso Wouldnt it be possible to install a short ram now, hook up the sensors and then if i wanted a cai just buy a generic pipe / clamp and install it into the short ram pipe?
seen it done plenty of times w/ the flexi DIY exhaust piping. (live/work near an auto/diesel/high Prof. Motorsports College, worked with lots of students from there over the last 14 yrs)
'course the flexi nature of the piping might leave the air a bit more turbulent that the smooth walls of an actual CAI Kit, but would it be noticeable to the average "butt dyno"?? I dunno.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
earlyre
Professional

The short ram came with a bracket but, i have no idea where it goes lol

Dumbies didnt send me instructions..

Suggestions would be awesome please thanks
Don't know how Similar that kit would be hardware wise, but here are the install instructions for the K&N Short Ram Style kit. (theirs has a sort of a heat shield)
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-1534_inst.pdf

By the way, they (K&N) only call for an increase of 4.85 HP@5600 RPM for the short ram,
and 5.3HP @4641 RPM for their CAI.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Neonewbie
Professional

Its very simple as long as you have the correct tools, I just oer think things before I even start any project. Main reason is because, if I break some thing (dpending on what) i most likely wont have the money to replace it.

The only issue I have is that I need another bracket to keep the throttle body stiff.

Quick Reply: short ram intake