2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Engine starting sputtering, now my AC isnt working

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 AM
LionHeart83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine starting sputtering, now my AC isnt working

Hi,
I have been driving my 2001 neon for about 5 years now and I have only had to do regular maintenance on it. Recently, I was driving on the highway at about 65-70 mph and my car started sputtering when accelerating. I left off the gas and the car seemed to correct itself, but when I pressed on the gas to climb an incline it did the same thing but the check engine light flickered and went off. During this time the A/C was on low. After I arrived at my destination I turned the car off and parked it over night. The next day I started my car and it seemed to be running fine except that the A/C was blowing cool air, but not cold. At low speeds the car did not sputter but when I began driving on the highway again my car began sputtering during acceleration. I'm wondering what could cause these problems, and what I could do at home as SIMPLE tests or fixes. I'm not too handy when it comes to cars, but I can manage simple repairs.
I do have to also mention that about 3 months ago my A/C was blowing hot air and a simple fix of 2 cans of freon gave me ice cold A/C up until that night. Tonight I purchased a can of freon with leak sealant in it and put it in the car with no better results. The A/C does blow well, and it seems to blow a little cool air but not much.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM
cheapez
Veteran

I don't know what is wrong with your car as I'm having trouble to understand what "sputtering" really mean in your sentence. Is this like a noise from your engine?

I hope someone else can help you.

As for the AC, you have to put in the system the right amount of refrigerant.
Too much, or too low on refrigerant will not make cold air, plus it effects your car performance.

It's very likely that you have a leak somewhere in your AC system, that is why you keep putting in more refrigerant.
If I have to guess, it's the AC condenser that is leaking. Small rocks fly in through the front grill and made a little hole in it.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

If your check engine light came on there is a good chance you have codes stored inside of your PCM. Get those codes and start from there..

As for your A/C I would never recommend adding cans of refrigerant without knowing how much is actually in the system. Too much refrigerant or too little can cause poor performance. I would recommend bringing the car to a shop for a professional to look at, also make them aware you have put leak sealer in the system as it may damage their machine.

Quick Reply: Engine starting sputtering, now my AC isnt working