2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Matt555
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration problem

Hi there everyone thought I would see if anyone can give me some advice on my issue with my 03 Neon. I have this vibration that starts about 60km/h and is barley noticeable but then slowly gets worse at about 110km/h its felt pretty good through the steering wheel.

Now I just had my lower control arm bushings replaced and right after this is when I noticed the vibration. The left side had fallen right out and the right was just about to. After I noticed the vibration I put new tires on it and had an alignment done because I figured it could be because I needed new tires. That didn't solve my problem, the CV joints seem to be good so now I'm thinking about getting new front brakes because I can't think of anything else that could be causing it. Thought I would post here first and see if anyone has any better ideas before I go and do that.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Minionsram

is the tires good or in balance? Sounds like either out of balance or a broken belt in the tires.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Matt555

Originally Posted by Minionsram
is the tires good or in balance? Sounds like either out of balance or a broken belt in the tires.
They are blanced and brand new tires.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Goromous
Amateur

Rear motor mount perhaps? Or the torque struts on the passenger side of the engine maybe. Turn your car on, leave it in park at idle, open the hood and press down on top of the engine and see if you hear the vibration. If so it's one of the things I just mentioned.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Matt555

Originally Posted by Goromous
Rear motor mount perhaps? Or the torque struts on the passenger side of the engine maybe. Turn your car on, leave it in park at idle, open the hood and press down on top of the engine and see if you hear the vibration. If so it's one of the things I just mentioned.
Nope sounded fine, the vibration comes through the steering wheel anyways its not a full car vibration.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Sounds like a bent rim, tires will balance out perfectly but you could still have a bent rim.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad brakes (warped rotors, for example) would only cause a vibration while stopping, unless you are driving with your brakes applied. You replaced the lower control arm bushings, but did you check the outer tie rod ends or lower ball joints?

Could be a mildly bent rim too, as Moparkyle pointed out.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Matt555

Originally Posted by darthroush
Bad brakes (warped rotors, for example) would only cause a vibration while stopping, unless you are driving with your brakes applied. You replaced the lower control arm bushings, but did you check the outer tie rod ends or lower ball joints?

Could be a mildly bent rim too, as Moparkyle pointed out.
Its not a bent rim or tie rods(newish) I'll have a look at the ball joints again but they were good when I did the lower control arm bushing.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Matt555

Replaced the front pads and rotors and alot of the vibration is gone at lower speeds but still notice a vibration at highway speeds when not under throttle when under trottle it seems to be fine. This is starting to frustrate me greatly.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem