2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM
buddhaman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by illriginalized
The bright green connector in my last post?? Oh lawd. One thing after another.

Was it easy to replace? I'm going to grab that screw real quick and put it back in place. I didn't take the time to read your thread, my apologies.
Yup. That's probably where all your oil is coming from. The part is $15 or it'll cost about $30 to hook up an actual gauge which is what I did. Just changing the part should only take 30 mins max. Took a little longer for me because I had to run lines and find a spot for the gauge.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by buddhaman
Yup. That's probably where all your oil is coming from. The part is $15 or it'll cost about $30 to hook up an actual gauge which is what I did. Just changing the part should only take 30 mins max. Took a little longer for me because I had to run lines and find a spot for the gauge.

You just have to unplug the wire harness from it, then unscrew it out? I'm guessing I have to do this from underneath the car.. which means I'd have to remove the cross member.

Also Mopar or go with aftermarket?

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-11-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

You just have to unplug the wire harness from it, then unscrew it out? I'm guessing I have to do this from underneath the car.. which means I'd have to remove the cross member.
There's a special socket you can get from Autozone. Unplug the connector and cover it so nothing gets inside. You can reach it from over the valve cover or standing by the driver's side fender. Not once did I go under the car. Let me see if I did a write up on it or not.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

There's a special socket you can get from Autozone. Unplug the connector and cover it so nothing gets inside. You can reach it from over the valve cover or standing by the driver's side fender. Not once did I go under the car. Let me see if I did a write up on it or not.
Is it a good idea to remove the battery/battery tray?

I believe the socket is a 1 1/6" oil pressure switch socket.

I'd really appreciate it if you posted a write up. Especially the size of the socket I'll need in order to remove the switch.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Is it a good idea to remove the battery/battery tray?

I believe the socket is a 1 1/6" oil pressure switch socket.

I'd really appreciate it if you posted a write up. Especially the size of the socket I'll need in order to remove the switch.
It'll give you some more room, plus you always at least disconnect the battery before changing any sensor. I looked and didn't post a write up. It isn't too hard though.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

It'll give you some more room, plus you always at least disconnect the battery before changing any sensor. I looked and didn't post a write up. It isn't too hard though.
Ok. Is my assumption correct? 1 1/6" socket? I think I can actually do this without any problems with just the battery out of the way. And knowing Dodge, there's a little clip/lock on the sides of the socket that I'll have to press on in order to unlock the socket from the switch.

For the switch. Is aftermarket fine... or since it's a sensor, I should go with mopar?

Mopar part#: 05149098AA

Or is that not the right one?

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-11-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Ok. Is my assumption correct? 1 1/6" socket? I think I can actually do this without any problems with just the battery out of the way. And knowing Dodge, there's a little clip/lock on the sides of the socket that I'll have to press on in order to unlock the socket from the switch.

For the switch. Is aftermarket fine... or since it's a sensor, I should go with mopar?
I don't remember the size, i used channel locks to get it out lol. Aftermarket sensor will be fine, it isn't vital to the operation of the vehicle. I put in a mechanical gauge and didn't even get a new sensor to put in so I just pulled the bulb from the back of the cluster.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardest thing about this job is getting the little red clip pulled out so you can disconnect the electrical connector lol.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by richards83
The hardest thing about this job is getting the little red clip pulled out so you can disconnect the electrical connector lol.
Should be able to do it with my fingers right? Not a flat head screw driver?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Just use a small flathead and it pops out A LOT easier than trying to use your fingers.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?