2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
illriginalized
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhaman
Just use a small flathead and it pops out A LOT easier than trying to use your fingers.
Hm... Ok.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Should I do this replacement while the car is warm or wait til it's cooled down? I don't know if there's going to be oil spilling out when I remove the switch.

Edit: While cold. Found this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...g-light-6.html

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 AM
fhadso
Veteran

Honestly, if it's just leaking out of the valve cover and not the head, I would just go with the valve cover gasket. My '05 is getting to the 110k mark and I haven't had any problems with oil or anything, but maintenance has been kept according to the handbook it came with. My general theory on these cars (any car, really) is that as long as you keep them maintained and in good condition you shouldn't run into any problems. My '00 had a lot of problems with it, and maintenance was never kept up before I owned it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by fhadso
Honestly, if it's just leaking out of the valve cover and not the head, I would just go with the valve cover gasket. My '05 is getting to the 110k mark and I haven't had any problems with oil or anything, but maintenance has been kept according to the handbook it came with. My general theory on these cars (any car, really) is that as long as you keep them maintained and in good condition you shouldn't run into any problems. My '00 had a lot of problems with it, and maintenance was never kept up before I owned it.

It's the only logical conclusion I have as well, that the previous owner (my brother) didn't give a crap about the car. The reason I will more than likely go with the gasket kit is to just nail out all the gaskets/seals on the head.

I'm not going to replace the head gasket, at least not until I start taking apart the top end and see evidence of the head leaking (too many things in the way for a good visual inspection). Drives me nuts to see a motor in this condition even though the car drives fine it could be better, I would imagine.

So far Cam seal is leaking (not where the position sensor is, but on the other side), valve cover is leaking, oil pan (have a leak even when the car is off), and more than likely that oil pressure sending unit is leaking as well. Worst comes to worst (hopefully) so is the rear main seal.

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-12-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by illriginalized

Don't think it's the oil pressure sending unit.. I should get an oil pressure light or a CEL right?

Guessing more than likely it's Rear main seal. Has anyone had the seal replaced? How much money am I looking at to replace the seal? After doing research apparently it's one of the most PITA seal to replace.

I'm going with the Fel-Pro - Rear Main Seal Set since apparently it makes the seal replacement a lot easier.
Is this image still available? Its not linked anymore.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by illriginalized
Wow... nice call!

Behind valve cover:

Some other shots:

1. This gasket must have been leaking for a long *** time to be able to push out that much oil down below. But what's interesting is that it's not even that wet... though... there's drops of oil where I park.

2. LOL @ my camera finding my Camshaft position sensor screw. Looks like the last person who replaced the sensor lost the screw. Which was a mechanic while the car was under my brother's possession.

Guess I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket and putting that screw back in its place.

Should I go with OEM valve cover gasket or is aftermarket good to go? If aftermarket I can do the replacement right now. If OEM, I have to wait for it to arrive in the mail which can take up to 1 week.
And are these available still too?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC, they were just pictures of everything covered in oil.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

I took the images down.. but in the end, the major oil leak was due to the oil pressure / sending unit. It was literally spraying a light mist of oil all over the back side of the motor (towards the firewall) and down below. I had a flash light on from underneath and I could see the dark mist of oil spraying out when opening the throttle.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal or Oil pressure sending unit?