2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Raced a Hyoundai

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced a Hyoundai

welp... me and my justa bout stock neon whent up against my best buds tiberon... now just to inform the unedumecated masses... a tiberon has about 172... his had 178 hp due to he added something to his engine (forgot what), and im running 132 hp. However, for kicks and giggles we drove out to an old unused back road that is well suited to a rally race. Twisty roads and tight corners infront of us. He immidiately left me at the start. However, every turn i managed to gain on him with better steering on the tighter turns (that and a little background in drifting). But by the end i was only a little less then a second , maybe a second and a half behind him... when we reached the finish. Man... i was proud of my little neon... for him having almost a 50 hp advantage on me... i didnt do too bad.

Now... to just clear some things up... i drove crefully, and we did a couple little drive arounds to get used to the turns so we werent blind. As well... it was all just for kicks and giggles... and we shook hands after wards and drove our seperate ways.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: Raced a Hyoundai

d00d you should have one tibbies are heavy and slow...neons are 2300 lbs and dominant in autocross. It was good that you were close 2nd but you have launch issues or sumthin Ive taken my friends tibby in 1/4 mile every time weve gone down the track...

Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's a Hyoundai Tiberon?

I've heard of Hyundai Tiburon....

Old 09-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

I have an auto tranny. my accelleration is super slugish until i get to around 20 and it gets a lot faster. Im looking into something that will increase my acceleration dramatically. And he has done a few mods to his car to lighten it up a little. And sorry about my spelling... i cant spell that cars name for the life of me. anyways... help would be appreciated. Im hoping to race again after the winter wheni get some more hp in my car.

To tell ya it was a good race was an understatement. I cought right up to his rear end on 2 turns, and he powered up the hill (yea, it was just about all uphill).

I will definately give you guys a headsup on the next outcome.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

oh, i forgot to add (sorry for double posting) but his is a brand new 05 model... meaning it had a v6 engine. Your buddy, highrev, must have an older version that has 130-140 depending on the model he has. That is an easy win for a neon with stock power.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:58 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

get a valve body from pa racing transmissions

Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

d00d you should have one tibbies are heavy and slow...neons are 2300 lbs and dominant in autocross. It was good that you were close 2nd but you have launch issues or sumthin Ive taken my friends tibby in 1/4 mile every time weve gone down the track...
We're talking about a 2ND GEN Neon here.....Go check your specs again, 2300lbs is way under what they weigh. Try more like 2635lbs curb weight according to dodge.

Sounds like a fun time. If you were that close with an automatic you might have had him with a manual.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:17 AM
NeonSE

yea, but then again what neon hasent been beaten by a tiburon?

i joke, but still Neon handling and braking is pretty much outstanding.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 AM
01NeonR/T
Rookie

I remember a while back when I first got my Neon, me and my buddy who has a 98 Audi A4 Quattro went up to the local Azusa Mountains. Me, having never been up there before, took it slow up and down a couple of times to see what I was up against. Having GPS also helped me quite a bit. That and my friend foretold me the upcoming turns read of my gps map. After we both got used to the road, we took it up and down section by section, stopping every one or two miles to see if anything was wrong (tires, fluids, etc). His AWD ability destroyed me in the uphill and I lost sight of him quickly. But coming back down, I gained confidence going through the turns and ended up going through one section without dropping below 55mph (his claim though). I overshot one turn and the ABS/Traction control saved me when the pedal went to the floor, and the turn went sharply right and I tried gunning it through, where a moment of wheelspin was quelled by the traction control. My Neon has impressed me with it's ability to handle itself very well through turns for such a limited design.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: NeonSE

yea, but then again what neon hasent been beaten by a tiburon?

i joke, but still Neon handling and braking is pretty much outstanding.
I would second that comment. On mostly stock suspension I have done some crazy cornering with mine and it holds the road nicely. I have upgraded most the suspension now and I would now call it "fast" in the corners. And on completely stock brake pads, rotors, etc, it saved me on more then one occasion under extremely hard braking.

Quick Reply: Raced a Hyoundai