2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2002 Neon RT

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Billy Joseph Ellis Jr.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Neon RT

I have a 2002 Neon RT that I bought to flip. The engine had a knock when I bought it, I figured I would be able to rebuild it, but when I got the engine out I found there was a hold in the block. A rod had broken. So I decided to buy a used engine and go through it and put it in. First problem, the engine I bought is a 2004 model and the crank sensor is in the wrong location, plus its a 5v sense system as opposed to the 8v in 2002. I am looking for another engine now. The cross reference says that the only engine that interchanges is from an RT or an ACR. I cant find anything that gives me any definitive information that says I can not put in a standard engine. I know the head is different. I am pretty sure the block is NOT. I still have the head from the RT. Does anyone know if I can put in a standard 2.0 engine? Or can I use the head on a standard block? Chrysler cant even tell me the difference.
THANKS!!!

Last edited by Billy Joseph Ellis Jr.; 02-11-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Roughly speaking, IIRC, the head and related components are the only difference between the SOHC and DOHC. I can look into it more tomorrow if I have the time.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Billy Joseph Ellis Jr.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
Roughly speaking, IIRC, the head and related components are the only difference between the SOHC and DOHC. I can look into it more tomorrow if I have the time.

Both are 2nd gen SOHC engines. From 02 to 03 Chrysler changed the location of the ckp and the reference voltage from 8v to 5v. In 02 the ckp is on the back of the block just behind the crank pulley. 03-05 it is on the front of the block just ahead of the flywheel.

Quick Reply: 2002 Neon RT