2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 dodge neon sx2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Cjvee20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dodge neon sx2.0

Hi im a new driver i just bought the car couple months ago and now i need to change the oil.. How much liter should i buy and whats a good filter? Plus i was thinking of using a lucas too .. I just need a little info about this stuff

Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

It takes 4.5qts of 5w30 ( the newer ones call for 5w20). I always used whatever filter was cheapest.

I use a Mopar filter for my Dart though.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

4.5Qts. or 4.3L. 5W-20 or 5W-30; either will work. Filters: Purolator/Motorcraft or Wix/NAPA Oh, don't use any oil additives. They generally cause problems instead of fixing any.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 AM
arnonefrank13
Professional

I use mopar filters now I've had to many aftermarket filters leaking and being on way to tight and cant remove them. They were only tight to get them to finaly seal. ( Bosh is bad and Wix have sealing problems. go with mopar filter and dont ever use FRAM. Its better to buy a 5 qrt. jug of oil 5w 30. that way there a half quart if you need a top off 2k miles later. I use full synthetic mobile 1 oil. who knows what the previous owners did to my poor car...

Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arnonefrank13
I use mopar filters now I've had to many aftermarket filters leaking and being on way to tight and cant remove them. They were only tight to get them to finaly seal. ( Bosh is bad and Wix have sealing problems. go with mopar filter and dont ever use FRAM. Its better to buy a 5 qrt. jug of oil 5w 30. that way there a half quart if you need a top off 2k miles later. I use full synthetic mobile 1 oil. who knows what the previous owners did to my poor car...
Current information says that Champion Labs/FRAM makes the Mopar filters. WIX remains one of the best filters in the market. According to most everyone over at BITOG, Bosch filters are GTG as well.

If you have a leaky filter, I'd put money on it being user error vs. an actual filter problem, especially if it's been more than one filter. Only "just tight enough" or too tight can both cause leaks. Having a dirty mating surface or a double gasket problem can cause a leak. Not putting oil on the filter gasket and then having to get creative to remove it could potentially cause a lifelong problem. Out of the hundreds of oil changes I've done with many, many filters being the "orange can of death" all the way up to K&N, Royal Purple and everything in between, I have yet to have a leaky oil filter.

Quick Reply: 2003 dodge neon sx2.0