iac valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
jamesneon2003
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile iac valve

2 questions

1 where should i buy the iac valve. at the dodge dealer or autozone..

also what should my neon idle at. its under 1k

doesnt stall at all

also my IAC VALVE IS FINE my car has 144,000 miles so maybe its time to change it...

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Mine idled between 500-700 RPM depending on engine load and other conditions.

If I were to buy an IAC I would always buy MOPAR. But why fix it if it ain't broke?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 AM
fhadso
Veteran

I bought mine at AutoZone. The correct idle for our cars is +/- 700. Mine idles at 1100RPM at a cold start up, and then normalizes at ~700RPM.

Symptoms of a bad IAC would be stalling, not keeping an idle, or a high idle. You shouldn't need to replace it unless you are experiencing these symptoms. When mine shot craps, it was when I stupidly sprayed TB cleaner into it, and made it stick. It would randomly stay closed (stalled, didn't maintain an idle speed), or it would stay open (not returning to idle speed when conditions were met). I replaced it, reset the ECU, and I haven't had an issue since.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 PM
packfan88
Amateur

Before you replace it, take it out of the throttle body and clean it out with some carb cleaner. wipe out the throttle body and clean up any air passage you find. Your engine will appreciate it.

but with something like this, id buy an oem part.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:38 AM
fhadso
Veteran

Uhm, no. You do NOT spray carb cleaner into the IAC valve. That's what !@#$ed mine up. If there is sludge blocking the opening, which there shouldn't be, use a cotton swap or something and get it out. Do NOT get the plunger wet under any circumstances.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
packfan88
Amateur

Originally Posted by fhadso
Uhm, no. You do NOT spray carb cleaner into the IAC valve. That's what !@#$ed mine up. If there is sludge blocking the opening, which there shouldn't be, use a cotton swap or something and get it out. Do NOT get the plunger wet under any circumstances.
Thats why the internet is great. i can find a hundred posts saying its just fine to clean it out and you can find a hundred saying its better to just buy a new one.

It worked for me.

It didnt work for you.

IMO if its broken, and needs replacement, attempting to clean it out and seeing if it does the trick BEFORE buying a new one is the only way to go.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

trial an error sometimes... Electrical motor cleaner is always best in my book, Krylon brand, not as harsh on plasitcs........ But on my V dub you soak it in an alcohol bath, blast it with compressed air and WALA! Like new again....

wish my v dub would show codes like dodges lol

Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM
packfan88
Amateur

if the manufacturer says its ok to spray in your throttle body (hence the name throttle body and carb cleaner) i wouldnt have a probloem spraying down plastics. But see your point. I had a 73 Bug back in the day. wrecked it!

Quick Reply: iac valve