2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

URGENT Help Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 PM
usman1ca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT Help Needed!!!

Hi Guys,

My emissions test is on Apr 28 but I am unable to clear MIL (CEL) light. As per Drive Clean Ontario emission test will not pass with engine light on.

I am getting P0300 & P0302 codes, following parts have been changed:
Spark plugs (last month)
Wires (last year)
Ignition coil (last month)
Fuel Injector #2 (This month)

My mechanic did the diagnosis and came to the conclusion that after several tests, like swapping plug wires, plugs, compression test etc the problem is "cylinder #2 piston ring leak". He said the pressure stays very low in this cylinder whereas other cylinders are fine.

He advised if piston is changed the whole engine needs to be disassembled which will be like rebuilding the engine and cost can be around $1,000 or more. My 2004 Dodge SX 2.0 has 146,000 kms. I just spent around $800 to change timing belt and bushings and I am not sure if I should just sell this car as is.

The only problem I get while driving is that the idle is rough. At higher rpm the car runs great. The engine light occasionally blinks which I know is not a good sign but I am still driving it.

Do you guys think I should get second opinion from a Dodge Dealership? Any thing else that could be causing this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions, dont have much time left.....

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If there is a bad reading in cylinder 2, that could potentially cause the P0302 code. I imagine he came to that conclusion after a compression test? Did he retest (compression test) the cylinder wet? Did he do a leakdown test too?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Like Darth said, low compression should be followed up with a cylinder leak test. If he did a leak test and determined it was the rings then there probably isn't much you can do other than an engine rebuild.

If you go to the Dodge dealership they will charge you again for diagnosis time, but 2nd opinions never hurt.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
usman1ca

Originally Posted by darthroush
If there is a bad reading in cylinder 2, that could potentially cause the P0302 code. I imagine he came to that conclusion after a compression test? Did he retest (compression test) the cylinder wet? Did he do a leakdown test too?
This is my first car so please bear with me as I was not aware of these compression and leak tests until my mechanic told me he did these on my car.

He definitely did the compression test and as far as i remember he did mention he did leak test. He checked pressure on all 4 cylinders out of which 3 stayed at 120 i believe which is supposed to be normal pressure but cylinder #2 was around 60. He said he brought it up to the 120 but then it fell again.

I know i should not be driving the car, but what is the worst that can happen if i keep driving?

Since I am not an expert I was thinking to get a second opinion before I take any big decision.

I do have a small leak in my fuel tank, can that cause this problem? ill b fixing the leak this weekend.

Thanks a lot guys for giving your input.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:11 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try run a can of Combustion Chamber Cleaner from your dealer thru the engine and see if it frees up the rings and valve from carbon build up. You just spray in into the throttle body slowly while keeping the car running around 2000 RPM.

Well, if you keep driving it, you could damage the CAT Converter.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If he did compression and leakdown tests and was able to get the compression up by doing a wet compression test, then yeah, it sounds like the ring is gone. The worst that will happen if you keep driving the car is that you could very well need a new catalytic converter which are generally several hundred dollars. I have no clue how much one for a Neon is.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM
earlyre
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
The worst that will happen if you keep driving the car is that you could very well need a new catalytic converter which are generally several hundred dollars. I have no clue how much one for a Neon is.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=5808
chose a 2004 at random, but rock auto shows the Cat anywhere from $173.79(USD) to $227.79(USD)

Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM
usman1ca

so when its a piston ring leak, do i see any leak stains on ground? or is it coming out from the exhaust? any signs at all...

someone told me if its a leak then you will have fuel dripping under the engine??

Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If the ring is bad, you're probably burning oil which would come out of the exhaust. You're PCV system may become caked with oil too.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
usman1ca

I am in Ontario, Canada. As of Jan this year the emissions is not done through tail pipe anymore, instead directly through your ECU. Therefore, if you have engine light on for any reason, 99% chance your car will fail emissions.

I was able to get conditional approval since the cost of this repair was over the threshold of $450.

Following is the dealer's diagnostic:

Cylinder 1: 210 psi
Cylinder 2: 90 psi
Cylinder 3: 180 psi
Cylinder 4: 210 psi

"Problem should be no. 2 cylinder valve leaking compression"

I cannot transfer ownership on conditional pass therefore it will have to be sold "as is"

It was a shock to me that at 146,000 kms there is such a major repair needed.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I had been on this website before and everyone here is very helpful.

Quick Reply: URGENT Help Needed!!!