2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what I mean is the actual jaws that grab the the lip, are the the same no matter what way you put them on? mine is shorter one direction and longer assembled the other direction sounds crazy but its the cheapest made crap, I think its for the alt pulleys to pull off actually not for the harmonic, man that sucks sorry your having so much trouble with it.. tried a different puller from another auto place maybe?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Neonproject12
Amateur

I've tried every way switching them around and trying to do all the crazy things I could think of. & yeah I tried 2 times from advanced auto parts and one from autozone. From autozone it was the actual Chrysler puller lol just my luck

Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

lastly I guess you can try heating it up with a hair dryer not a torch... might take 30 mins of heat to get it to expand with heat,, but if your comfortable and can solder circuitry with a torch that will free it and have your fire extinguisher ready... dont heat directly on the crank end more focus on the outer edge where the pulley meets the crank if that makes sense.. otherwise dont attempt

Last edited by TejasMtnBiker; 05-04-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps I misunderstood one of the posts, but just to make sure: when using the Chrysler puller and insert, you had the balancer bolt removed, right? When using the generic pullers, you had the balancer bolt installed, right? Also, you are putting the jaws in the center of the pulley, not on the outside, correct?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Neonproject12
Amateur

Idk if I trust myself to use heat or torch so I might stay away from that idea & yes I took the bolt out while using the pullers. All of the pullers were the same pretty much just the only thing was the Chrysler puller did not have the balancer in the kit . Yes I am putting the jaws in the middle not the outer rings

Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Chrysler puller is the only one in which you take the balancer bolt out because it has the extension, or it's supposed to, that replaces the bolt. If you didn't have the extension, you didn't get the whole Chrysler puller kit. For the aftermarket, generic 3-jaw pullers, you have to have the bolt in part of the way. If the bolt isn't there, there is nothing for the puller to push against and subsequently, there is going to be no force to pull the balancer off. The pullers are basically working against themselves.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Neonproject12
Amateur

Balancer bolt you mean the one on the puller? And it had the extension ( long skinny rod for in the middle right? )

Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

no he mans the actual balancer bolt stays in part way so the 3 jaw puller's long skinny bolt can press against it, thus the jaws grab and forces pressure on the balancers bolt head which pulls the balancer loose. Dont mess up the crank threads make sure to have the balancers original bolt 1/2 way in. hopes this makes sense

Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Neonproject12
Amateur

Now I understand, it makes more sense now seems like it will work but hopefully luck is on my side when I try that

Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

wish you were in Dallas I'd had it off for ya =)