Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 AM
bgii_2000
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tearing my hair out trying to find the right AC part

2001 Dodge NEON SE

VIN: 1B3ES46C51D293785

Part number 05015342AB has a leak in the hose. All my refrigerant leaked out. I need to replace the part. AC liquid line, right? and it's got the high side service port on it, ya?

So I head to my local parts store and order a replacement.

Here's what I picked up: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2713&ppt=C0352

Looks mostly right. It's vaguely the right shape, has similar fittings, and a high side service port where it ought to be.

Except it's not the right part. The fitting that goes into the accumulator is too big. And the aluminum tubing curves in the wrong direction.

I'd really like to avoid getting the OEM part. It's between $120 and $170 for a two foot length of rubber hose and two metal fittings.

Here's my questions:

-Am I just not looking hard enough? Is there actually an aftermarket part for this that does fit?

-Do I perhaps have an aftermarket accumulator and I just don't know it? Any way I can check?

-Is it possible to build my own? If so, where can I find the fittings?

-Can I repair the one I already have? Is that safe?

-Is picking up a hose at a U-Pull-It ever a good idea? Will I just end up replacing it again in 3 months?

The system is empty, so I feel pretty comfortable working on it. It's shaping up to be a hot summer. Any help would be sweet!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

You can try upullit, just check the price of the part. Usually you can get hoses for a few bucks. Another option is to look in your area that builds high pressure hoses. Just take the old hose, if you can find a place that does this, and they will make you one to match.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 AM
xarkhun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would totally suggest a upull-it i needed a rubber vent hose for the filler neck on my 93 e350 yes i know its a ford but they wanted $140 for a 22in piece of rubber hose i went to a upull-it and got it for the $2 dollar entrance fee

Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

you can also call a high pressure hose shop or hydraulic pump shop, they can cut the old hose out and replace it with a new hose that will never go bad and flare out the alum. tubes where they attach. Then just bolt it back on, if you can find a used part. Blow out the part you r&r to make sure no debris is left in it. Make sure this rubbing on the belt, happened to mine where the rad mount on the bottom was tweaked a tad from my teenager pullin in driveways too fast.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM
bgii_2000
Amateur

So, I've been to two hose shops now and they both turned me away stating that I needed special AC hose, and that they do not have any. Also that the fittings were aluminum, and even if they did have the hose they could not weld the aluminum.

Or something.

I am not a hose man, nor versed enough in the speak of the Hosemen to contradict them. I tried to ask the second one if it didn't seem crazy to splice a new piece of hose over the leak, but he hemmed and hawed and seemed to indicate that this was so insane as not to be even thought of.

Anyhoo, they both referred me to an AC specialty shop so that's my next stop. I'll be by the u-pull-it tomorrow, but it looks as though they don't have any 2001 Neons :-(.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 AM
xarkhun
Rookie

any of the 2nd gen neons should have the same a/c piping/hoses so the year doesn't have to be an 01 ask if they have any 2000-05 bigger range to look through

Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

man that sucks, they just want more $$ is all I swear from big jobs.... Sorry you had to waste a trip + time...

I know some Oriellys & Car Quest shops make pressure hose and can do it, there's not much too it like like making a brake line w/pressure fitting. They even have the do-it-yourself ends that crank on like under kitchen sink plumbing in the "HELP" parts section.......

so did the hose leak from getting cut by the belt? That's a pretty darn tuff hose even though it's small

Quick Reply: Tearing my hair out trying to find the right AC part