2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Engine Mods 2003 Neon R/T (Cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 PM
magnum2point0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mods 2003 Neon R/T (Cheap)

Hi,

This is my first post on here. I hope my questions can be answered. I am going nuts with research on trying to get at least 200 HP out of this thing. Now according to my research, I have concluded that dropping a turbo that will perform like the SRT-4 stock for 2003 will be very expensive. Your talking a new cam, new chip, new manifold, new pistons, not to mention boring out the engine 2.4 lt. to fit the pistons, than you have exsaust. Dodge really didn't think of people like myself that like to "do it themselves" when they designed the Neon R/T for 2003. It seems the suspension they gave us is a waste...lol. Okay... Now I have come up with a few ideas that may be cheaper than the whole turbo conversion, and maybe someone has some input? First to start; Air intake. Now the factory intake sucks. Too much filter, and too close to engine with no intercooler. I was thinking of redirecting the intake to somewhere low where heat isn't present and where it can get crisp air from outside of the car. The filter for this will be a K&N. Now this can be a problem when it rains, for the vaccum will suck up the rain. I'm working on a design for a semi box for this. But there should be away to put a fan in there to create a better vacuum. Now my thought on this would be to create a fan that helps the vacuum and is driven by a belt. This way you have a constant boost. Kind of like a super charger, but I can't find super chargers anywhere for the Neon R/T. If anyone knows where I can get one...lol please let me know. Next would be to get bigger fuel injectors, for you do not want to run the engine too lean. This will mean you need harder preasure on the spray, which means stronger fuel pump. Lean will slaughter the engine. I want a good mixture of gas and air. Next would be to replace the current duel outlet muffler with a flow master or something in that range, something that will give better exsaust. LOL... a duel outlet flowmaster? Do they make such a thing? Anyway if this theory works, Look out stock SRT-4, the R/T can be hooked up to preform just as well engine wise. Now please leave feedback and let me know what you think. I haven't started buying stuff yet for this conversion, I am still working on the idea. I need some input on this theory. I am very mechanical, but it is always good to double check on a project that could possibly ruin my car if I do it wrong. Please let me know. Thanks.... They are taking the Neon away this year......Let's go out with a bang!

[IMG]local://upfiles/22981/0C2FACC3A2164F56B576967279E33F8F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: Engine Mods 2003 Neon R/T (Cheap)

a quick question, before you start any of this.... why are you putting all of this work into the neon if it's just going to be taken away within the year? [>:]

Old 10-21-2005, 03:01 AM
lilracingneon

i think he was refering to the fact that the neon isnt being produced anymore. lol

Old 10-21-2005, 06:18 PM
casper
Legend

If you want 200 hp, the easiest way is just to buy either a hahns racecraft of a chill factory turbo kit. Both are complete kits and will work just fine on a stock motor. Both will bring you well into the 200 hp range. The only other thing that I do suggest with the kits is a good exhuast.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:56 PM
2point0togo

ThR/T and the SRT4 are two completely different beasts man... 2.0Lvs2.4... SOHC vs DOHC. A swap is the only way to get 2.4L out of your engine. It's OK though, cause unlike us little SXT guys, you have the R/T head and manifold already, much higher CFM than the SXT. A cold air intake will really wake up your car... though, I have no idea why you'd want to intercool something with no boost on it. please PLEASE don't buy anything from flowmaster. Three months down the line it'll be busted and rattleing like a dirtbike. Borla makes a nice set up. A little research will go very far there. Comp Cams makes a very high performing cam for the neon, SXT and R/T alike in a couple of different grinds. Headers will help your exhaust alot. The fuel delivery is kind of a moot point without a larger fuel rail but a little higher flowing injector will have a nice result. I think 180 is easy on an R/T without boosting and you don't have to get into reliability issues like you would if you were boosting. Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:34 AM
lilracingneon

180hp? what i want to know is, can the auto handle that power without going south? I saw what you wrote can that also work on an SE model '03 neon?

Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 PM
2point0togo

Your Auto should be able to handle it, but it's going to take alot more power away from the wheels. A manual is going to get you faster ET's and wont leech power like an Auto, but you can build it. You're probably looking at 170's with the same mods as I mentioned just because you're not running a magnum. But those mods will work and your tranny should be fine. One thing you're going to want to research is the choice of cam. Too much lift will give you a rough idle, that step should be researched highly. But read up on your products before buying and installing to know how they'll react and if they're right for the type of driving you're gonna do.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I had the same question when i first got my R/T. I started off with a AEM cold air intake, then i got a short throw shifter (although no increase in power, faster shifting, which means lower times!!), then i got my tower strut bar and lowering springs, i ended it so far with a Borla duel exhaust. Now you dont want to just get more HP, you want somethin with good handling and overall performance. Next i'm gonna get some 17"s and maybe a Air and Fuel controller cuz i cant afford a Hahns turbo!!

Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

sorry im goin to have to say magnaflow exhaust, And Crane cams, and a good header....comp cams really dont do stack up to crane IMO... for a NEON that is...V-8s are a little better w/ comp...

Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 PM
magnum2point0

Seems sweet, you did the work around engine. Nice. I was quoted a turbo for 4 grand. Seems steep to put in an '03 R/T Neon. I'm not looking for exshust. No way man. Too much noise, too many tickets. I'm looking for high HP with minimal noise. I do a lot of highway driving and city village driving. I do not want to shatter windows. Only reason I haven't changed exshust. Plus the R/T exshust is good as it gets unless you start dumping in major HP components. Your aftermarket is putting what 5-10 HP in there? Plus loud as hell? I mean we have the duel outlet, more than enough exit for our intake, unless ya go turbo or super charger. I just called AEM and they said the cold air intake I just installed was the only thing they offered for the Neon. F them man. They lack the engineering that us Neon fans love. I love the Neon, I am pissed they are going away, even the gem star SRT-4 is out. LOL The SRT-4 made them so much money, and now they are crapping on it. What BS! The SRT-4 could have sold for decades with a 4 bangger making over 230 HP stock, and looks mean! Caliber? LMAO... Looks like a mini SUV, not a sports car!

2003 Neon R/T Black
AEM Cold Air Intake
....only mod as of yet.

Quick Reply: Engine Mods 2003 Neon R/T (Cheap)