2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 SXT Idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:33 AM
Darkside96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 SXT Idling problem

I just got a 2003 Dodge neon SXT with 130,000 miles it runs smooth, shifts smooth, does not burn oil, transmission is clean no fluid leaks at all.

There is only one issue when the car is put in reverse the car/engine starts shaking/vibrating you can literally feel it through the steering wheel, when the fans kick on it gets slightly worse for a few seconds.

I does not do it in any other gear other then reverse, also there is a whistling/turbo like noise coming from the engine when it starts and idles and even drives. I think that is normal with neons but i'm not sure maybe that can help find the issue.

Any idea's?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM
MCleveland89

My car shakes as well like yours except when I'm accelerating. Did you ever figure it out? I took mine to a mechanic and he told me there was something misfiring in the engine. I can't remember the part now though. Hopefully you figured out your problem.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Darkside96

Originally Posted by MCleveland89
My car shakes as well like yours except when I'm accelerating. Did you ever figure it out? I took mine to a mechanic and he told me there was something misfiring in the engine. I can't remember the part now though. Hopefully you figured out your problem.
Motor mounts and transmission mount fixed my issue.

If you engine has a misfire it should throw a misfire code so do the key-dance and check the codes.

Change the plugs, wires, ignition coil, clean the IAC valve and throttle body with throttle body cleaner.

Use Autolite Copper spark plugs gapped at .035

Do you hear rushing air sounds/whistling? you also could have a small vacuum leak. Also check on the condition of your air filter.

Always do the cheapest fixes first, mechanics are there to rip you off so I suggest you do the work yourself since it is very simple.

If non of those fix your issue then take it to a different mechanic shop such as pep boys or some other ASE certified place.

If it has any codes provide them here and I may be able to help further but I am not a Dodge mechanic all I can do is give advice but I cannot promise you a solution.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:03 PM
MCleveland89

Originally Posted by Darkside96
Motor mounts and transmission mount fixed my issue.

If you engine has a misfire it should throw a misfire code so do the key-dance and check the codes.

Change the plugs, wires, ignition coil, clean the IAC valve and throttle body with throttle body cleaner.

Use Autolite Copper spark plugs gapped at .035

Do you hear rushing air sounds/whistling? you also could have a small vacuum leak. Also check on the condition of your air filter.

Always do the cheapest fixes first, mechanics are there to rip you off so I suggest you do the work yourself since it is very simple.

If non of those fix your issue then take it to a different mechanic shop such as pep boys or some other ASE certified place.

If it has any codes provide them here and I may be able to help further but I am not a Dodge mechanic all I can do is give advice but I cannot promise you a solution.
I haven't noticed any air sounds/whistling while I'm driving. Should I hear it somewhere else? The code I'm getting is P0443.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Darkside96

Originally Posted by MCleveland89
I haven't noticed any air sounds/whistling while I'm driving. Should I hear it somewhere else? The code I'm getting is P0443.
P0443 is the EVAP system and should not cause any issues the most it would do is prevent you from passing inspection so if you are not in a state that requires vehicle inspections or follows federal regulations then honestly its not something to worry about fix it whenever you feel up to it.

And for the air/whistling sounds you should have the car in park, open the hood, listen closely while giving it some throttle while gradually increasing. Or you can take the brake booster line and blow smoke into it and look for the smoke escaping from around the engine. Wherever the smoke escapes it is a vacuum leak.

You can do it with a cigar or cigarette take puffs and blow it in the line. Or you can bring it to an auto shop with a smoke machine but sometimes it can be pricey.

Quick Reply: 2003 SXT Idling problem