2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Fuse error but no code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:01 PM
guitarchika
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuse error but no code?

Hey everyone,

Last week I bought a 2005 Dodge SX 2.0. It runs well but on startup, it displays a fuse error. The radio and interior light aren't working. The front fog lights are also not working but I haven't checked the bulbs yet. I've checked for codes but there's none. I've checked every fuse as well as the interior lightbulb and they all look fine. I really don't want to have to take it in to be examined. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked the engine grounds?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur
Default Same issue on an 01 R/T

I have the very same issue and symptom on my 2001 R/T. I will check engine grounds...also thought maybe there is another fuse in the radio itself???

Can anyone help us here?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur
Default The Answer!?

Found this via google...sounds like the solution...from 2009!

"I've already posted the answer to this earlier in the post and batchelar said it too. It's in the owners, manual, the factory shop manuals along with Chilton's, etc., and here in the FAQ section.

FUSE in the odometer window means the IOD (Ignition-Off Draw) fuse in the Power Distribution Center under the hood is blown, removed, or has a failure in the wiring.

This fuse is removed during long-term storage on the dealer lot before the car is originally sold to keep the battery from being drained by dome lights left on, radio memory, etc. It has a yellow holder around it for quick identification. EVERY Neon built has one of these fuses; and every Chrysler product has one dating back to probably the original LH cars in '93.

I've been a tech in the Chrysler stores from '76-'87, an instructor in the state's tech college system from '87-'95, and finally an instructor at the Chrysler Cincinnati Regional Training Center from '95-'00 and finished out with a short curriculum development job into '01.

Add that to the 2yrs as a student in the tech school where I went back to be an instructor and I have 27yrs in the automotive service business before I went from volunteer Fire/EMS to career Fire/EMS."

Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That's a possible solution, perhaps, but not THE solution to the 'fuse' error. Mine was caused by a bad engine ground. Most commonly it is caused by a bad interior dome bulb.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Lambiotte
Amateur

I removed the entire battery negative cable and grounds yesterday as well, cleaned them all with a wire brush (the copper ribbon was a bit dicey), reattached at all three points, under battery plate, on body near PDC, and at the tranny. I replaced the dome light with the proper bulb, but still am getting the error...no radio, no dome light, fuse on odometer....

did you repair a different engine ground?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There are like 6 or 7 engine grounds. One of mine was loose/corroded, which is what prompted me to replace all of them with upgraded cables.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur

I will let you know how mine goes...thanks.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Lambiotte
Amateur

GRRRRR....ok, So I replaced the negative battery cable and all the associated grounds (2 points plus the negative terminal. I replaced the coated flat cable (3 point) with new 8 gauge, wire brushed all body connections, removed battery tray and wire brushed all the connect areas under it. I have replaced the dome light and the cargo light with new bulbs (the correct ones) but still no joy.

I swapped the fuses on the interior fuse box and what worked still does, and what doesnt still doesnt...so the internal block is not the problem.

That circuit has the wht/rd switched wire...the bad circuit must be the M1 (Pk wire) that comes off connector 103, and is generated off splice 103 directly off the PDC, From C103 it goes to S201 then to the C2 wire 7 at the radio... (FUSED B (+)

I have changed the fuse on the PDC (#13, 15A) but still no lights or radio.

I was thinking to run a 20g wire dirctly off the PDC to the terminal on the radio to see if that will light it up...if so, then it would follow that either the connector or one of the two splices (S103 or S201) would be bad.

Any obvious flaws in my logic or approach that anyone can see....I am losing my mind with this nagging electrical issue. Everything else with the car is good.

PS. the 6 CD changer powers up when connected to the radio...but I think it is powered of the circuit that is connected to the interior fuse box. (Wht/Rd).

Quick Reply: Fuse error but no code?