2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 AM
myraus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible purchase

Hi.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 from a person who is letting it go for a ridiculously low price. They've had the timing belt and water pump replaced, but the damage was already done. The cylinder head has to be replaced because they tried to start the engine after the timing belt broke.

I can get a head from the wrecking yard and have it ready to install, so what I'm asking is what years will fit on this engine and how hard is it to replace?

Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 PM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no real changes from 2003-2005 that i remember.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:02 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

00-05 will work. It's hard to say how hard it would be for you, since we don't know your mechanical ability. I'd say it's simple, but I've been working on cars for about 35 years. If you can follow the steps in a service manual and have some basic understanding of engines, you can probably do it. You'll need a decent set of hand tools, floor jack, jack stands, torque wrench, and a 3 jaw puller. A good place to start would be to download the factory service manual, look over the procedure for removing the head, then decide if you want to try it. If you get stuck, we're here to help.

Quick Reply: Possible purchase