2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

neon runs terribly

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Bill Schartiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon runs terribly

So i got this neon off my friend at work. It didn't run so I changed the spark plugs, wires, cam and crank sensor. I can get it to start after a lot of cranking. Idle is okay but when I try to accelerate it won't go over 4000 rpm when in drive and sounds and runs terrible when i'm accelerating. Lots of vibration too and I replaced the two passenger motor mounts. I can't figure whats wrong. After clearing the codes I still get crank or cam sensor code I can't remember which one it is.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:20 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you replace the cam and crank sensors with Dodge units or aftermarket? These cars tend to like the factory pieces. Also, did you check all of the sensor wiring to make sure it isn't broken or grounding out? Is the cam magnet still solid and not broken? Did you use copper plug or platinum? Try to avoid platinum.

It sounds like it's still a sensor issue.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:14 AM
* DB cooper*
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Schartiger
So i got this neon off my friend at work. It didn't run so I changed the spark plugs, wires, cam and crank sensor. I can get it to start after a lot of cranking. Idle is okay but when I try to accelerate it won't go over 4000 rpm when in drive and sounds and runs terrible when i'm accelerating. Lots of vibration too and I replaced the two passenger motor mounts. I can't figure whats wrong. After clearing the codes I still get crank or cam sensor code I can't remember which one it is.
I accidentally cut my map sensor wire once putting a new motor in and it sounds like thas what's happening here..

Quick Reply: neon runs terribly