2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 neon 2.0l won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 neon 2.0l won't start.

Okay guys, it's a friend's car stuck in my garage and i live 96 miles away but while I'm by the car... the car ran from Milwaukee to Muskegon last week and hesitated but made the trip and now as of Friday the car won't start. It's backfiring out of the intake and turns over but won't fire. It gave me codes for multiple cylinder misfire and misfire on cyl 3 and 4. I apologize for not remembering the code numbers. It has 128k and a brand new timing belt and crank position sensor with litterally no miles on it. I did see some coolant in the intake but nothing I the cylinders from what I could see. Would a bad head gasket cause this? I don't know if the car was over heating prior to this but I know 2 weeks ago it wasnt. Sorry if this isn't much help but like I said it's not my vehicle otherwise I probably would have figured it out lol. Anyway thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Update. I did a compression test and got the following.

Cyl. 1: 120psi
Cyl. 2: 90psi
Cyl 3: 140psi
Cyl 4: 140psi

I tried a little either and it wouldn't even start on that

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 03-28-2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Updating
Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 AM
NovaSmith777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the computer lost a uplink i had similre problem with my 02 but it wont be head gasket good way to check with head gaskets if there in need of repair thell start leaking oil or compression it can only go two places ether in ur rad lines or oil system but there will be a build up of pressure in on the two but check to see witch cyl have spark then go from there id watch cyl 2

Old 03-29-2016, 11:52 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it to run this morning. I popped the iac off and my friend started the car on a whim and it fired up so I put the iac back on and it hasn't had a problem since. It was very wierd

Quick Reply: 2005 neon 2.0l won't start.