2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 tranny cooling line problem

Old 11-14-2016, 07:50 PM
ohiolinebacker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 tranny cooling line problem

I got home today and noticed a large quanity of tranny fluid running from my 2005 dodge neon. I located the problem. The cooling line closest to the passenger side on the radiator was disconnected. I tried screwing it back in with no luck. I dont know a lot about this issue and havent found much info searching. Im assuming (which we all know what that does) that the threads are stripped on the radiator. My questions are as fallows. Is there a way to fix the radiator threads without replacing radiator? Is my assumption correct is believing that is the problem? What are my options other than an external cooler? Any help would be greatly apriciated. Thank you all.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:34 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

I had the same issue a couple years ago, but it was the other line. I ended up buying a new radiator from Amazon for around $80. I know there are some external coolers, but not sure what size would work. My Mother-in-law's '03 Stratus has an external trans cooler and not one that runs through the radiator. You could try pulling the radiator and using JB Weld to reattach the fitting.

L8R,
Matt

Old 11-15-2016, 02:01 PM
ThatThingGotAHemi

If I were you, I would figure out the thread pitch of the trans line fitting, and get a Heli-Coil to fix the stripped threads on the radiator.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:19 PM
ohiolinebacker
Default Thanks gentlemen

Thanks for the advice. The heilicoil i tried wouldnt grab. Im going this weekend to pick up a new radiator. It dont feel like there was ever any threads on the inside of radiator so im going to just check a new one out and see exactly how the fitting works. Ill keep you guys posted and again thank you for responding!

Search this Thread