2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 SXT Idle/Accel/Decel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:55 AM
dgallagher89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 SXT Idle/Accel/Decel Issue

Let me begin this by saying, I have a fairly basic amount of knowledge and skill when it comes to vehicle mechanics. That being said I will try to explain this as clearly as I can and provide all the information I have.

First off this 05 SXT is something I bought used from a private seller for a fairly low amount of money because I was in need of a vehicle. When i tested it before buying I noticed that it seemed to idle a little rough but it was very very minor. It was idling in park at what I would guess to be about 600-700 rpm range. I also noticed that the shift from first to second and second to third was a little delayed, again very minor delay and it was not a hard or rough shift. This was the condition at the beginning of June. I drive the car to and from work and in town for groceries etc. with my trip to work being less than a mile so the total amout of miles I have put on this in the last few weeks has been very minimal.

I started noticing about a week ago that every so often, with no clear rhyme or reason that sometimes when I went to start the car it would have to turn over several times before starting. every other time it fires right up perfectly. I also noticed that when it had a hard time starting sometime soon after the CEL would come on. When this happened usually the next time I started the car the CEL would be off and everything would seem fine.

Yesterday the car did the "didn't seem to want to start" deal, started after a few seconds and, as usual as I was driving the CEL came on shortly after. This time however that car was acting like it either did not want to change from 2nd to 3rd gear or that it was stuck in 2nd. Thats that best way I know how to describe it. Also, when I would try to accel. once I got just over 2k rpm it would "chug"/stutter. I was close to my destination so I tried to drive slowly the rest of the way. After doing some reading I thought it might be the Cam Position Sensor so i got a ride to autozone, got a new one and replaced it. When I started the car back up it i noticed it was idling smoother than it had been in park. when I test drove it around the neighborhood however i noticed different issues. The shift from 1st to 2nd was still kind of delayed, however it seems to shift into second faster than it used to. And now the shift from 2nd to third isn't delayed but fairly rough/hard.

The chug/stutter issue is no longer happening, the CEL went off and has stayed off. This morning now when I am in park the rpm gauge is kind of dancing from 550 to like 650/700. so the engine is just like doing this very small little revs almost.

**** Forgot to mention when I let off the gas the car is very slow to decel and most the time it drops, does a quick little jump up and then goes back down. I always feel like i have to "force" it to decel.

Sorry for the long post - but does anyone have any suggestions what to look at here? I have new plugs and wires that are going on it tomorrow and it will get an oil change in the next day or 2 as well. Any help is appreciated !