2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Won't start again

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 AM
StreetMonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start again

My 2000 Neon ES 2.0L didn't start last week. Bought a new battery and cleaned cables, worked for a couple of days. Ran an errand, about 7 miles, would not start nor take a jump. Next morning it started right up. Drove it home, turned it off, would not start. Couple of hours it started. Any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Define "won't start" please. We need you to be specific. Won't turn over or turns over and won't start?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 PM
StreetMonkey
Default Won't start again

My apologies, no crank. There are lights and all that but, no crank. Was thinking the starter. Thank you for responding.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

If the battery is known to be good (had it load tested, even though it's new?), and the cables are good, connections clean and tight, then the starter would be the next thing to test.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:16 PM
edh1005

street monkey,
what was the problem? my daughter's boyfriend is having the same problem. I'm out of town and can't check it out.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:24 AM
woodtrimmer

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If the battery is known to be good (had it load tested, even though it's new?), and the cables are good, connections clean and tight, then the starter would be the next thing to test.
Hello Jkeaton
I'm having the same issue with my 1998 B2500 5.9L as it will not crank but all gauges and system lights function with the ignition switch. So far, I have checked all fuse, relay and replaced the starter/solenoid and neutral safety switch. Can jump start the engine with key on and thru the starter relay port with a power probe.

Reading this fellows post and the noise he heard leads me back to a symptom noise that has been present for awhile but did not effect operation until possibly now. I've noticed that symptom as a "buzzing" under the dash and seem close. Is there another relay under the dash perhaps, that I'm not seeing in ALLDATADIY ? Sadly, I have a OEM service manual but have recently moved and a warehouse full of hard to access boxes, otherwise it was always good for troubleshooting etc.

Thank you for considering my question here and would truly appreciate some experienced advice or suggestions! On my original thread one fellow mentioned one of the 3 grounds maybe a culprit?

Old 03-13-2024, 11:48 PM
chadcondon

About a year ago I had the exact same issue. It was the starter. Also clean the OTHER end of those cables if you haven't, couldn't hurt.
And if you don't already know, if you can get someone to gently tap on the starter with a hammer while you crank it, sometimes it will work temporarily.

Last edited by chadcondon; 03-14-2024 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Won't start again