2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:12 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnietbird
The fan was off on initial start up. I turned on the a/c, the fan came on. Relay would appear to be OK. I have the new temp sending unit in route. It may be faulty, causing the gauge to read incorrectly at times. Maybe that's why the car went one hour in one direction, then nearly that distance on the way back before the gauge showed hot. Once the gauge showed hot, it started going back down.

I am going to drain the water system and flush it out, then add new fluids (water, antifreeze and a bottle of water wetter), and see what happens. I will put the car on an incline as you stated.
I agree it sounds like the radiator fan power relay is ok.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM
paw paw
Captain

Do you have a lit CEL/SES light, if so, scan the computer for trouble code clues & post All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Vinnietbird
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only codes it showed was a bad MAP sensor which I replaced. The temp sending unit was on my list due to the same issue on my Thunderbird I built. The gauge would go up to hot which it wasn't overheating. I bought an NOS Motorcraft piece, problem solved. Plus, with the Neon having 205,000 miles, a new sending unit can't hurt.

The water is a bit brownish green. I'm going to drain the system, flush it with a coolant system cleaner, then drain again and fill it 50/50 with water and antifreeze. I only use distilled water in my cars.

I agree with the thermostat possibly sticking. It was an autozone piece that I grabbed when I got the car. I'm going to install a Mopar part.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:13 PM
paw paw
Captain

Originally Posted by Vinnietbird
The only codes it showed was a bad MAP sensor which I replaced. The temp sending unit was on my list due to the same issue on my Thunderbird I built. The gauge would go up to hot which it wasn't overheating. I bought an NOS Motorcraft piece, problem solved. Plus, with the Neon having 205,000 miles, a new sending unit can't hurt.

The water is a bit brownish green. I'm going to drain the system, flush it with a coolant system cleaner, then drain again and fill it 50/50 with water and antifreeze. I only use distilled water in my cars.

I agree with the thermostat possibly sticking. It was an autozone piece that I grabbed when I got the car. I'm going to install a Mopar part.
Ok, that sounds like a plan & I agree, probably a good idea to use a good system cleaner/descaler & flush before replacing the thermostat & adding the new coolant.
I'd not use the "water wetter" additive, as it's not needed with a quality coolant.
I also agree it's probably a good idea to use the OEM thermostat.
Keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Vinnietbird
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies for the late update........

The car is running as it should. I swapped the cooling fan as the mechanic who charged the A/C system advised. Well, the fan was fine. I now how a virtually new Neon fan assembly in the garage. I replaced the thermostat, and all seems well now. While I was at it, I also installed a new temperature sending unit as a "just in case" so I can be sure the gauge is accurate. The car is happy.

Now, I need to start swapping some suspension bushings as time allows.

The car has all I can think to do to it for running well.....

Waterpump and timing belt
injectors
MAP sensor
oil/oil filter change
Air filter
Transmission fluid and filter
New tires and brakes
new tie rod ends
new rear brake cylinders

On the work bench....new O2 sensors and a new fuel pump assembly.

One piece ata time for the little car. Also known as "Lo-Tech".

Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 AM
paw paw
Captain

Ok, good feedback & to hear the coolant temp is now under control & all seems well.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM
paw paw
Captain

Yup "Low Tech" but my 5 star Dealer SM said the Neon was By Far their Most Reliable model!!! They aren't as refined as import vehicles, but are reliable.

The one we have, my wife inherited in 09 from her mom. I had helped her mom shop for, test drive & come by it back in 02, I think it was. Had about 22K on it then & was clean as a pin & we too have found it to be Very reliable transportation. It's always been Severely short tripped around town, so I maintain it with the specified quality fluids & filters. We use it, but don't abuse it & maintain it to Chryslers Severe Service call outs. If we do that, they'll likely work real good & last a loooong time!!! lol
Good luck on your Neon resurrection, properly done, with quality parts & fluids, the vehicle will likely respond with a long run of reliable service!!!