2003 dodge neon sx 2.0 transponder key programming not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dodge neon sx 2.0 transponder key programming not working

Hi guys,

I purchased two blank keys off ebay from a supposedly reputable seller that has good reviews. They state they test each key prior to shipping to ensure they'll be OK for programming.

I got the keys cut today and they work for opening up the car and for turning the car on (but of course the engine shuts off after a few seconds since the transponder isn't programmed.)

I tried following the instructions in my car manual which state:

"Customer Key programming

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid sentry keys by doing the following:

1. cut the additional sentry key transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.

3. insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank sentry key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

Now I believe I followed the instructions quite carefully and even found a youtube video which demonstrated the same procedure but for a different model car. "

I have two official keys that I originally got when I purchased the car. (purchased it used through family but they got it USED from a dealer originally and the dealer gave them the two sets of keys.)

Now where the instructions go a bit wrong are it says to turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key. When you're in OFF mode, you cannot remove the key. You need to turn the key to LOCK mode before you can remove the key. I assume that turning to off mode is inherent when you go to remove the key in LOCK mode since you have to first pass through OFF mode to get to LOCK mode.

(accessory mode, LOCK mode, OFF mode, ON/RUN mode, START mode)

the only explanation I can think of is that the two new keys I got have faulty transponder chips in them or transponder chips which don't match my cars transponder chips (but the ebay listing said it would work in a 2003 dodge neon so it should work..)

or the two dealer keys I have, one of them is actually just a clone of the other key maybe, and when I put both keys in, it thinks it's just one key that I'm putting in to get the process started.

Not sure if I've missed anything or if there's anything I can check to ensure that my two dealer keys are unique?

When I first put the first key in, it doesn't flash the theft alarm, then I put the second key in and it flashes. Then I put the new key in and it stays flashing.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What keys did you buy? Are the tops black or gray?

Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur

They are grey just like my original keys I have but they don't have the dodge logo on them. My original keys have the logo. They're same size and shape and colour of the originals though.

not sure if this link works but here's the original eBay listing
http://m.ebay.com/itm/142413501521?_mwBanner=1

Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never been able to get the grey ones to program that way.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-23-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:33 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
Three programmed Sentry Key transponders are included with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to five additional transponders, for a total of eight Sentry Keys. The following "Customer Learn" programming procedure for the programming of additional transponders requires access to at least two of the valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III® scan tool.

CUSTOMER LEARN PROGRAMMING
1 - Obtain the additional Sentry Key transponder blank(s) that are to be programmed for the vehicle. Cut the additional Sentry Key transponder blanks to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2 - Insert one of the two valid Sentry Key transponders into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3 - After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for about three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. Both operations must be performed within 15 seconds.
4 - About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the VTSS indicator LED will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
5 - Within about fifty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
6 - About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the VTSS indicator LED will stop flashing and stay on solid for about three seconds to indicate that the blank Sentry Key transponder has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately return to normal system operation following exit from the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
7 - Go back to Step 2 and repeat this process for each additional Sentry Key transponder blank to be programmed.

If any of the above steps is not completed in the proper sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty seconds.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:05 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
Three programmed Sentry Key transponders are included with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to five additional transponders, for a total of eight Sentry Keys. The following "Customer Learn" programming procedure for the programming of additional transponders requires access to at least two of the valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III® scan tool.

CUSTOMER LEARN PROGRAMMING
1 - Obtain the additional Sentry Key transponder blank(s) that are to be programmed for the vehicle. Cut the additional Sentry Key transponder blanks to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2 - Insert one of the two valid Sentry Key transponders into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3 - After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for about three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. Both operations must be performed within 15 seconds.
4 - About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the VTSS indicator LED will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
5 - Within about fifty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
6 - About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the VTSS indicator LED will stop flashing and stay on solid for about three seconds to indicate that the blank Sentry Key transponder has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately return to normal system operation following exit from the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
7 - Go back to Step 2 and repeat this process for each additional Sentry Key transponder blank to be programmed.

If any of the above steps is not completed in the proper sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty seconds.
I feel like I tried all of that. I'll go over it again but that sounds nearly identical to my manual. but again, it always says return to 'OFF' position - you can't remove the key when it is in the 'OFF' position, have to go to 'OFF', then go to 'LOCK' before you can remove the key. (at least I haven't been able to pull my key out in 'OFF' position.)

Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I figured I'd post it just in case as it's a little more specific. From the manual, it says to put the first key in, turn to on and wait no longer than 15 seconds and then insert the second key within 15 seconds of step 1. From the shop manual, it says you have to do both keys start to finish within 15 seconds. Of course, it all depends on how long you're waiting to swap keys, or, if the procedure even works. Something else to try before paying for keys to be programmed.

Also, don't get too caught up in the off/lock positions. Just turn the ignition off to where you can remove the key and "on" to where you have power without the engine running.