2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Running 5w20 or 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Crackle_Smackle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running 5w20 or 5w30

So, most 03-05 Neons are said to run with 5w20, and earlier 2nd gen models run 5w30. Can I still run 5w30 in my '05?

It's about time to change oil and I was curious if running 5w30 would help quiet down the infamous Neon top end tick. It's a harmless noise as far as I've been told, but it'd be nice not hearing it anymore.

Car's got 174k miles on it and I run synthetic.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The weight was changed to 5W-20 in 05 for CAFE standards. Either can be run, and neither will directly quiet the tick down.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:16 AM
Crackle_Smackle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah okay, I was thinking it had to be something like that. Someone only vaguely mentioned changing the oil might help but I was kinda unsure about that, thanks for the help.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:17 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If the tic you mentioned is happening after a cold start up, I cured my 2000 cold random cold start up tic it developed when trying Valvolene Max Life 5w30, by using regular 5W-30 Havoline, that's now a synthetic blend in the 5W-20 & 5W-30 recipes, according to their Nov 2015 PDS Applications section here. https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=310594&docFormat=PDF

Notice Chevron also fixed the flash point too, Finally raising it back up to 446F for the 5W-30, so we're likely to consume less due to high temp evaporation. They've also Finally increased the Boron & Moly in the recipe, so it's more like the levels used in the SM recipe.

I also tried a Motorcraft FL-400S filter, which is over sized length wize for this application & about as long as we can likely safely use without it hanging below the oil pan & that has Completely eliminated the start up rattle it's always had when using the specified Chrysler shorty/lawn tractor size filter.

The 2.0L seems to really like those oil & filter changes, no more start up rattle, no more cold lifter tic.

EDIT: I changed the oil filter brand first, so I knew it stopped the start up rattle it always had with the specified Chrysler filter.
Then years later while trying various oils with lower NOACK numbers, trying to address the Sudden consumption the Neon developed when the first change of API SN went in, I discovered that the newly improved Havoline immediately stopped the random cold start lifter tic while using the Max Life 5w30.
SO, make one change at a time, so you know what fixed the noise your hearing.
If your hearing start up rattle, begin with changing the oil filter brand & see how it goes.
If the tic is random after a cold start, or after the engine warms up, change the oil brand & see how it goes.

SO, consider trying a different oil recipe & or a different filter.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you do & how it goes.

Last edited by paw paw; 09-28-2017 at 12:36 AM.